Will my super old receiver run a SVS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dillon Poole, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Dillon Poole

Dillon Poole Agent

I have an old Pioneer SX-1900 stereo receiver, I have no idea what the specs are, but I was wondering if I can run an SVS off this, or do I need a dedicated amp?

If it doesn't work, I'm gonna get the HSU VTF-2 most likely. Is this sub pretty tight and musical like I hear the SVS is? I plan to listen to music more than HT (70/30).

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

From what I've heard, those older Pioneer SX series receivers are pretty solid. I'm sure it won't have any problem running an SVS as long as it's in good working order, etc.

Since you already have it laying around, the SVS is the clear choice.

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Is this one of the late 70's models with the wooden veneer side panels and brushed aluminum face plate? I think I remember this model (or maybe I'm thinking of the SX-1500)... and I think it's 135wpc into 8 Ohms (pulling about 200wpc into 4 Ohms). If so, then it has more than enough power to push an SVS (or almost any other passive sub) near it's limits. BTW, the SX models from that era are known for having "clean" power as well (low THD). Sounds like it would be a good match.

4. Dillon Poole

Dillon Poole Agent

Its actually like 6-7 years old, black body and all (looks modern at least, hehe) Is 2 channel with A/B switching and a mini equalizer control. How much power is needed to run a 25-31 real cleanly, I'm really concerned about boominess and clean bass.

5. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

You can try it and see if it does it for ya but if you're really concerned, I would buy a good amp. A proper amp will make the SV shine!

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

You will have enough to run the sub, but I think you are going to limit the power of the sub. Bass requires a good power source that I think that integrated receivers or amps can't really give it. I ran two DIY subs (8 inch and 15 inch) on an old Kenwood receiver that was rated about 125 wpc 8ohms it worked but when I hooked up my old power amp 250wpc 8ohoms 500 4ohms, I realized what I was missing in dynamic range and volume.

7. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Hey Dillon I don't think you'll have a problem. I am using an old Pioneer SA-950 Stereo Receiver to power a 20-39. It sounds great and the volume is only set at 5, 10 being the highest. It is rated at 190x2 @ 8ohms, I'm not sure if this is a 70's or early 80's model.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Dillon,

I'd be shocked if this receiver's amp stages weren't more than enough to get some great bass. Even 100 watts would be more than enough to get that great SVS sound, if not max out the sub. With an amp like that sitting around I'd think it a shame not to try. I don't think you would regret that path. Down the road, I'd sooner get a second sub, then upgrade your power.

We've tested SVSs with what certainly must be the cheapest receivers in the world and never had any problems using them for sub power. Efficient sub design makes this possible.

Ron