Will my speakers bottleneck sound quality on a high-end receiver.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChuckM, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

I currently own an Onkyo ht-s650 and for the past two years have been very pleased. But since I've moved I have a bigger space to put my HT system and I'm looking at upgrading to a 7.1 system. Now here's the question I bought a second pair of rear speakers for $35 the exact same as the ones in the Onkyo SKS-HT500 set. Would it be worth it to blow $700 on a new receiver and use these speakers or are they just going to boche the sound quality.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You might notice some improvement by upgrading to a real receiver, but the most dramatic improvement will come when you upgrade your speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John S

John S Producer

I agree...

Your speakers, or even just a much improved sub will have more impact than a new/better AVR....

4. ChuckM

ChuckM Stunt Coordinator

So would a new set of speakers give a better feeling of surround sound then a 7.1 system with my current set.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The speakers are the most fundamental part of the audio equation. Behind that is the room acoustics. Improving your speakers is almost always the best way to improve your system. Electronics is a much more subtle change in most cases.

6. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    Chuck,

While I agree with the above members' posts; improving your speakers would be the best upgrade. However; a receiver upgrade would certainly give you, as you put it, . . . a better feeling of surround sound . . .

Although the Onkyo ht-s650 is a highly rated home-theater-in-a-box system, the receiver is a little out of date. A newer receiver with Auto Setup and Room EQ Adjustment would greatly improve "the feeling of surround sound." It might also make your life easier with the component switching feature.

I upgraded from a five year old Denon 2700 to a new Denon 2805. Although the receivers were comperable in output watts, etc. I was blown away with the sound after using the speaker auto-setup and EQ feature. It really brought out the best in my speakers.

So sure, new speakers or a new subwoofer, (like the affordable SVS PB10-ISD), would be nice; but since you have seven decent accoustically matched speakers and a subwoofer I say go ahead and look at a new receiver. Hell, if you can afford to float $500 for a couple days, take one for a test drive from Best Buy. If you don't think it's a big improvement, just return it.