Will my Sony DA5ES be able to power Paradigm Studio speakers without damaging them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Nov 24, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I just upgraded my speakers from the Paradigm Monitor series to the Studio series. I wanted to know if my Sony DA5ES would be able to power 2 Paradigm Studio 100s, 1 Studio CC, and 2 Studio 20s without doing any damage to them. I ask this because my older cheap Sony receiver damaged the tweeters on my Mini Monitors and I had to have them replaced. I plan on buying the Outlaw 770 in about a month, but I don't want to damage my speakers before then. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    James

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The "ES" line of Sony receivers are built to rival the bigger/better names like Yamaha/Dennon/Onkyo. While I'm sorry you discovered that under-powered electronics can damage speakers, there is a world of difference between the low-end of the Sony line and the ES series. I dont think you are going to have any problems.

3. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the advice!
    James

4. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

James, let me know how you make out with your 100's. I have them and the CC, but I am using the ADP's for surounds. Did you by your Paradigm's in the US or in Canada?

5. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Brae,
    I'll be picking up the speakers in a couple days, I may not hook up the 100s until I buy another amp because of sheer paranoia. I'll let you know though. I bought my speakers in Canada at Live Wire Audio, I'm actually upgrading from the Monitors to the Studios.
    James

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

James, could you email me off-forum?

7. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

James,

Amplifiers don't damage tweeters. The people using them damage the tweeters by turning up the volume so high that the amps clip. All amps have a limit and will clip, and in the case of any solid-state amp, this sends very powerful high-frequency distortion to your speakers. Goodbye tweeters!

Many people have blown out their tweeters, but fewer will admit it. I myself melted a perfectly beautiful sounding set of Infinity's in my car when I was younger and more bass-hungry.

If you amplifier damaged your tweeters this meant that you were almost certainly clipping your amp. The best defence against a repeat performance is to learn what clipping distortion sounds like so that you can turn the volume down when you hear it happening. Of course a more powerful amp will help too, and the 5ES is powerful.

8. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Aaron,

I was a little concern, here, in your advice to James. Yes, the predominent factor in damaging a drive is to allow severe clipping to reach the driver, but on the other hand you are passively suggesting that a drive is capable of handling any level of non-clipping power. I would tend to think that speaker manufacturers offer their suggested maximum power input for this reason, otherwise what would be their purpose?

For instance, like James I have the Studio 100's from Paradigm, and the manufacturer suggests a maximum input power of 210 Watts. If I use a clean amplifier rated at 500 Watts and run it at 350 Watts, well below the THD/THD+N threshold, am I to infer from your statement that I, or we, have nothing to worry about? Somehow, I think I would have something serious to worry about or the manufacturer wouldn't have placed the disclaimer on their product.

Just a thought, really, as I was considering nx300 amplification, but with a moderate power setting to not exceed the manufacturer's recommendation.

9. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Before going any further, I would read this review and take note of the below 4-ohm dip the Paradigm Studio 100's V.2 take. This review is more than a year old, but with respect to the current version of the Studio 100's. Read the paragraph and then inspect the impedance curve they provided.
    Enjoy! [​IMG]

11. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

12. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Well, then let this communicae FROM Paradigm themselves have some weight on the case, unless that means nothing, too. [​IMG]

13. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

14. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Not really. The poster asked the Sony DA5ES would be able to power his Paradigm Studio 100's without harming them. Actually, one could say that all functioning integrated products could power these speakers without harm, but they probably would be harder to hear them when the room gets bigger.

The poster could have a 10'x10'x7' room and the Sony DA5ES could still deliver a damaging dose of clipped power provided the conditions were right, like he's deaf and or likes it ear-bleeding loud.

And if you felt the original question boiled down to his room size then why did you not feel this was worth questioning early on? You do know I'm just having fun with you, right? I'm off all week and need some fun. This is a passive activity I stop and take breaks with while construction activity in my basement goes on.

Also, I would caution anyone about making questionable statements about their receivers when it comes to these speakers. Although I love them (wish I had a second pair!), I do know they typically eat at the buffet table to satisfy their hunger.

15. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Just to let you know I never heard my old amp clip. I think the problem is in the fact that my old Sony had faulty power ratings. It was rated at 100 watts x 5, but it's really doubtful that my receiver could run 100w x 5 at once. I think the tweeters were damaged by being underpowered.
    James

16. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

17. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

What does a damaged tweeter usually sound like? Is this something you would know right away, or would you play something specific (like a test signal) to hear it? Are there levels of damage, or is it all or nothing? I was always a bit paranoid with my Diva 6.1s on my old non-ES Sony receiver but not really since I got the DA5ES. To my knowledge no damage was done, but I'm not sure I'd know without having done it before.

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

James,
    I don't think you will have any issues with possible dmg to your tweeters from underpowering themm with the 5es. While they might "sing" they will not sound up to potential and you realize that already and are planning on buying seperate amp to help/correct that. Let's not debate this point as it would be a threadfart to do so.

I just wouldn't go full bore reference level until you get the seperate amp. Just take is cautious.

19. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

James, what exactly is the application for th 5ES/100's? Is it mixed music/HT, all music (multichannel), or all HT? Also, what size room are you setting this stuff up in (footprint & volume)?

20. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I was trying to find the chart that someone in the forum had a link for. If memory serves me correctly and I may be wrong? That the test showed that the Sony does not put out 100 watts driven with all 5 channels.
    As far as your concern about damaging your speakers with the Sony 5ES receiver. IMHO if you do not drive the reciever into clipping your speakers should be fine. The Sony 5A ES IMO does not have the power to damage the speakers. The only thing that might is ether clipping or distortion. If you had a receiver that was high current then there may be real cause for concern, in this case I think you are ok [​IMG] .