Will my hard drive die soon?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Thi Them, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

This morning I turned on the computer and heard a very harsh sound that I assume was coming from the hard drive. I turned it off and back on, and the sound was still there. The third time I turned it on, the sound was gone and I haven't heard it since.

Does this mean my hard drive will die soon?

~T

2. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Define harsh? This could very well be (And more likely is) FAN noise. Every time you walk around you are shedding dead skin cells, aka dust. If you have pets they are too, and shedding hair. This gets sucked into your computer (No matter how air tight it looks) and get sucked into fans. Every harsh noise that comes from my computer is from a dusty fan. More than likely the dust is spread unevenly on one of your fans and is causing it to spin off center. Try taking your case outside and blowing it out with a compressor.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    the sound you dont want to hear is popcorn. once that happens, it is too late, your hard drive is dead. hopefully it is fan noise as matt said. if you have never cleaned your case, it is more than likely a fan.

CJ

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

A hard drive spindle failure is indicated by a high pitched whine that is directly proportional to the speed of the hard drive. The while will drop in pitch as the drive spins down and increases as the drive spins up. Hard drive spindle wear rarely (if ever) goes away from a reboot.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It might have been that you had an internal wire that was being rubbed by a fan. You should open your case and make sure that everything is clean. As was stated above Hard drives will either whine or make a clicking popcorn sound (if popcorn your drive is dead).

KyleS

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I've had a fan problem before and this didn't sound like one. Also, I've experienced the popcorn sound whenever it tried to access a bad sector. This was more like a grinding sound. I have Win 98, and often I have to improperly shut down the computer by turning off the power. Before I experienced this problem, it was shut down improperly.

Whatever it was, it is now gone. I have everything important backed up just in case.

~T