What's new

Will my glass/metal table sustain damage, if I leave it in the garage this winter? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I have a fairly nice dining room table that I don't have a need for sitting in the garage currently. The base is made of a steel frame in a black finish and the top is just a 3/4" thick slab of glass.

During the summer, I left everything in the garage thinking that the heat wouldn't be a problem. However, I'm curious if the table will sustain any damage in the cold temperatures of winter. The garage is enclosed so it's not like it will get wet or anything. But the temp. can drop to below 20 degrees Farenheit.

Do I need to be worried about the glass cracking or the base rusting? I can move it into the house but it would be an eyesore due to its size.

Thanks everyone.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If the glass top sits in the frame, just remove it and it won't get damaged if the frame decides to expand & contact with the cold. Then put a thin layer of cosmoline or other oil on the frame if you're that worried about rust.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think the biggest threat would be ambient moisture causing the metal to rust. The glass should be fine.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I have a car made out of glass and metal thats in the garage. It has survived numerous winters. :b :D

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I've stored a metal table in my unheated basement for several years and I haven't had a problem with rust. The trick I use is simple. Don't let it touch the concrete floor.I cut 4 pieces of an old 2x4 and put one under each leg. I put a piece heavy plastic (a heavy duty garbage bag works well) under each block of wood to act as a moisture barrier and that's it.

As for the glass top, if you leave it on the table make sure you pad it with something so it won't get scratched or broken and make sure everyone in the family knows not to use the table for a workbench. As for me, I took the glass off, wrapped it in heavy cardboard and slid it behind a large bookcase we keep in the basement.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. The base is currently sitting on some old carpet so it's definitely not touching the concrete and the glass is wrapped in moving blankets so no worries there. I think I'll just move the base inside just in case.

Jimi C - Good one! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks