What's new

Will my AVR-4800 extract rear information from non DD-EX titles? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
here's how I would think about it:

There are the speakers themselves, the surrounds and rear(s), and then there is the image too.

So for the 1st row, if the surrounds are directly to the sides, the image will be heavily pulled towards them, but it will still end up behind because of the rear(s).

But the back row is trickier because the surrounds will be forward, and even the image will probably will be pulled slightly foward too. (But then again, as far as Lexicon goes, having the surrounds' image slightly forward of the seating position is not necessarily a bad thing.)

I guess here's another question: considering the front row and back row, how often do you expect the back row to be populated? In other words, at what row would you want the best sound? (Hee, hee: where will *you* be sitting?)

Man, ... Not easy to think about! Now I understand where you're coming from... :)

And unfortunately some more q's: at what seat will you balance levels? Middle about 14 ft back? Any way you could (for now) set the stuff up and try out the different scenarios before construction?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I am running 7.1 with dipoles on the sides and monopoles in the rear.

I leave my 3803 in Matrix mode for all 5.1 titles, whether they are advertised as DD-EX or DTS-ES or not. For DTS 6.1 Discrete titles, it has never failed to properly flag.

I use the Widescreen mode (Denon's version of h/k's Logic 7) for older titles that have DPL only, or for older titles that have really crappy 5.1 remasters. The Widescreen mode can be applied to any DD and DTS track, though.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks