Will my 8 ohm amp handle 6 ohm surrounds?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ken.L, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

I've got an entry level Kenwood HTB-206 package system and the receiver is rate for 8 ohms and higher. I'm upgrading the speakers and have a pair of 6 ohm Wharfedale WH-2 surrounds ordered. The mains are going to be 8 ohm BIC Venturi 52's. Will the receiver handle the WH-2's without problem or is there going to be a melt down? What exactly is going to happen? Thanks in advance.
    Ken

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You should be fine.

In truth, your 8 ohm speaker are only 8 ohm's NOMINAL. The impedence actually depends on what frequency of sound they are trying to produce at the moment.

And while 6 ohm speakers will draw more current, these are the surrounds, not the mains so they wont be used as much.

I would try to avoid cranking the volume way up and making sure you over-compensate for heat/venting around the reciever. Keep an eye on the temperature and you should be fine.

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

No problem. Nothing will happen, you will be fine.

4. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Bob, Mike,
    Thanks for the reassurance. It does seem like I only hear sound out of the surround only a small percentage of the time watching a DVD and of course they are not even on in stereo mode for listening to music. So, the amp will only be looking a 6 ohms a small percentage of the time.
    Ken