Will my 100x5 receiver have more watts for the mains if I do not connect surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by altan, Dec 16, 2002.

1. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Assume one of those receivers that is rated at 5x100 watts yet only has a 250 watt rated power supply...

Here is my question: if I do not have my surrounds wired to my receiver, will the receiver have "additional watts" freed up for the mains?

Looking at this another way, does a receiver expend energy on outputs with nothing connected to them?

Or, do receivers automatically limit their output when 5.1 is selected?

One last thing... Will setting my speakers to small and using a powered sub significantly reduce the power requirements on my receiver?

Thanks!

... Altan

2. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Altan,

Leave them wired up, just change your configuration. Select none for center and surrounds. Many receivers have a slightly higher rating for 2 channel vs all channels driven. Theoretically, you will have slightly more reserve from the power supply, as well.

The small setting, while in 5.1 will save some reserve. Depends on the crossover point, speakers, and your receiver. 5 channel stereo mode probably taxes it the most.

JohnS

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Yes Altan, with the majority of receivers, you would increase the current (amperage) available to fuel the amplifier channels that you are using. More current means more headroom in the amplifier so higher peak wattages are possible and a higher RMS rating could be measured.
    Might sound a bit better too.