Will Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition run on WinXP?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Pine, Oct 3, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Excuse my ignorance! But, I have an OEM copy that I've been running on my old Win98SE PC. I'll soon be buying a new PC with WinXP Home Edition. Will I have any problems?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

There shouldn't be any problems. Office 2000 is definitely compatible with XP. The only problem I could imagine is if the company who sold you the computer made the Office CD only usable on that computer. I know Dell does that with Windows CD's, but I don't think they do it to Office CD's.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Seth thanks for the feedback!

Actually, I built the PC it's running it on right now. It's the second Win98SE PC I've run this software on, so I don't think there is a proprietary issue. I've seen Office XP packages on the market for some time. I thought "Uncle Bill" might have done that so we had to buy his new Office product, instead of using an older version of Office on a new OS.

If you are correct, my apologies to Uncle Bill.

4. John Pine

John Pine
    So....there's no need for me to buy Microsoft® Works Suite 2005 from Gateway for $39. Right?

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    We use Microsoft Office 2000 for the most part at our offices. We've learned very quickly that Office upgrades can be incredible resource hogs, giving us practically nothing useful in return, just a lot of extra menu options to navigate through endessly.

The Office suites can be so frustrating to use that I sometimes think about installing OpenOffice instead. [​IMG]

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

As long as you have the product ID key you're good. The only bit compatibilty problem regarding Office is the fact that Outlook 2003 won't install on a 9X system.

Most things in Word and Excel don't change much from one version to another other than rearranging and renaming functions. Outlook 2003 is a big improvement, though IMO.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, it should work. If you are online though, you should get the updates that you need. Several of them are security issues (no kidding?). I think it is the "extras" that pig out on the memory.

Glenn

8. John Pine

John Pine
    Thanks guys, good advice!

9. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

If you have a college student friend of the family, maybe you could convince him or her to get you a dirt cheap copy of Office 2003 and XP Pro.