Will magnetic color patches disappear??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettisMckinney, Feb 3, 2003.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

I discovered that my left and right mains were causing color blotches on my tv when i was watching something with a lot of white in it. I moved all of them out of the room, including sub and my tv still has the patches on them..kinda like a semi circle. I've turned it off, but will they dissapear at all?? Hope i havnt recked it!

ooh damn! I just turned the tv b/g off blue screen and put it too just white fuzz...there is a dark orange like circle on the right side!! Please tell me it can be gotten rid of. There is no deguass on the tv either

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

You don't specify what TV you have, but many sets automatically degauss when powered on.

If this is the case with your set, it should degauss over time, after enough power/degauss cycles.

I wouldn't recommend rapidly turning the set off/on, repeatedly, however. The degauss circuit generally won't fire in quick succession, and the rapid power cycling is not good for the set.

-Scott

3. FahnonB

FahnonB Extra

I have a kind of color blotch too I think. Its a very slight yellowish discolorationin the upper left corner of the screen. Is this the same as what you are describing? God I thought something was wrong with my set! :b

4. BrettisMckinney

Yeah except i have a yellow semi cicle down the right side and light blue down the left. I have a Toshiba 32xd16g 76cm WS set. Tried turning it off over night and unplugging and turned it back on this morning and its still there. Do i need to leave it on for a few hours or something?

5. BrettisMckinney

I cracked it today and unplugged everything and moved the TV to the other end of the house. Uh-uh..it got worse! It had nothing to do with my speakers, as i rotated the tv the colour blotches moved all around!! What could be in my walls or roof that could cause such a thing? I have central heating and air and a few lights but thats about it. It must be the set because it sure didnt happen with my small LG set, just goes to show that if you spend tons of money you get screwed!

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

There are external degaussers available, but the price is around $100. If your shadow mask has become magnetized, and there's no built-in degausser (or a wimpy one), you may have to go that route.

Jan

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your set may also be permanently ruined.

Just because you've moved the speakers away but still see the damage doesn't mean the speakers have been eliminated as the cause. If they're unshielded and have been positioned too close to the display, they will damage the set (in many cases, permanently). I've ruined two perfectly good Sony TVs by positioning unshielded speakers too close to them.

Degaussing may not work.

8. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

does this effect RPTV also?

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yes, but RPTVs are much less prone to it than direct views.

Jan

10. BrettisMckinney

Great. Looks like i just wasted $2500 that took me a year to save!