What's new

Will M*A*S*H be the R or PG version?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Anyone know the running time on the M*A*S*H DVD?? The R version runs 116 minutes and the PG version runs 112 minutes. Also, the PG version contains some different music during the opening credit sequence. Just curious!
Jeff

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea there were two versions of this film. You mean one of them uses a song other than Suicide is Painless over the opening credits? I can't see this one being released, so expect the R one.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on September 27, 2001 at 12:24 PM]

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I had no idea there were two versions of this film. You mean one of them uses a song other than Suicide is Painless over the opening credits?
Yes, I saw a theatrical print a year ago and the opening music was totally different than what they run when it airs on Fox Movie Channel. The print I saw had an instrumental version of "Suicide Is Painless", but it was definitely not the same version used in the TV series. I have a feeling I saw the PG reissue version, but can't confirm it since I did not monitor the running time. I asked the projectionist and he said it wasn't even labeled as to which rating it was.
Hopefully, Fox will include the alternate opening. The music I heard seemed very dated and out of place compared to the actual song. It was almost like a Muzak version.
Jeff

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
excellent question! i was so excited by the news that i completely forgot that there are two versions. with Fox's excellent history, let's hope that it is the uncut, or they'll have to wait until the next release for me to part with my money.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Just to muddy up the water a little more, Fox's letterboxed laserdisc was listed as "PG" but it is the original 116 minute version.
Personally, I expect to see this version on DVD. Hope so, anyway.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
These days, Fox is really known for treating the fans with respect and giving them what they want. I'd be surprised if they R-rated version wasn't on there. Maybe even seamless branching for both.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just to muddy up the water a little more, Fox's letterboxed laserdisc was listed as "PG" but it is the original 116 minute version.
Interesting! So, I wonder if the R version was re-submitted and received a PG or if that was just a misprint on the jacket?? Does the LD have the vocal version of "Suicide Is Painless" or the alternate music?
Jeff

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
The film was recently shown on Finnish TV, and they showed the R-rated cut. It opens with the "Suicide..." song (not instrumental). I am confident that this is the version that will be on the DVD - I can't see Altman wanting to have anything to do with the PG version since it was such as big deal for him to make the film very radical in the first place.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
So, I wonder if the R version was re-submitted and received a PG
according to CARA (The Classification & Rating Administration - Link Removed ), the last re-rating that M*A*S*H got was PG for the edited version in 1973. there is no record of a re-rating since that time.
DJ

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
How about a fully restored uncut version
biggrin.gif
. The restoration was personally overseen by Robert Altman and looks amazing - the HTF group will see some of the before and after film on Friday.
The other ususal Five Star additions - commentaries, documentaries, etc
It will be released the same week as the complete first season of the MASH TV Series will be out on DVD as well .. ..
Thanks for your interest,
Peter Staddon

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
How about a fully restored uncut version . The restoration was personally overseen by Robert Altman and looks amazing - the HTF group will see some of the before and after film on Friday.
Great! Thanks Peter! I'm glad to hear that it looks amazing! Oh, and thanks for giving us the option of watching the TV series without the laugh track....not many studios would've gone to that extra effort!
Jeff

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I'm very interested in finally seeing the series sans the fake giggles. I've wanted to can the canned laughter since I was 12.
I've never seen a print of Altman's film with an instrumental version of the theme. There is a jazzy rendition of the tune on a release of the movie soundtrack, but I never knew it was used in the movie.
Also, I wonder if there is some reference in the commentary or documentary to the fact that certain scenes in Altman's film have always been rearranged. Originally the scene with Painless committing suicide was earlier, before Hot Lips ever even appears. And the Korean with the hole in his chest is actually HoJon, then it's HoJon's body on the back of a jeep at the end of the film as the guys are playing poker. You don't really get that from the film as we've always seen it.
Anyway... I'm rediscovering my M*A*S*H fandom with this news of the film and tv series being released on DVD!
[Edited last by Coressel on September 27, 2001 at 06:16 PM]

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
M*A*S*H has been on my dvd wishlist for four years (has it really been that long?). with that wonderful news from Peter, this is a must buy for me. :)
THANK YOU, FOX!!
also, looking forward to eventually seeing the final episode of the series. i was in boot camp in 1983 when it aired and never did see it.
[Edited last by Craig Robertson on September 27, 2001 at 07:38 PM]

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Good to see FOX stick to the original artwork.
mash.jpg

[Edited last by Marc Colella on September 28, 2001 at 12:15 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks