Will Line Doubler (dvdo iscan) Help Me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dakota_D, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Dakota_D

Dakota_D Extra

If I have a Toshiba 50HX70 with a Model 6000 satellite receiver. My question is: would getting an external line doubler (dvdo iscan pro) help clean up regular satellite channels?
    I know the TV is HDTV and has a built in line doubler for NTSC signal, but will converting this Satellite signal (NTSC) into 480p help clear up the picture even more. Or is the line doubler built into the tv good enough? Is 1080i better than 480p?
    The TV works great in HDTV mode and the picture is amazing, just wish they would have more than 3 channels here in Canada. HDTV broadcasts are awesome. Just want to clean up the other 200 channels that are not broadcast in hdtv.
    I dont know if the regular satellite channels can be cleaned up anymore. It may be the source/channel.
    Maybe I have been spoiled with the new hdtv receiver and now can see how clear these hdtv broadcasts are and want that for the rest of the channels [​IMG]
    Thanks in Advance.

2. Dakota_D

Dakota_D Extra

Anybody use the Iscan Line Doublers?

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I get a great picture using the 6000's 1080i upconvert HD mode for standard channels especially the premium true digital channels..I don't think the iscan doubler will do any better than the 6000 HD upconvert mode...
    ------------------

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

I have an hdtv but I'm still on cable. The line doubler on my tv (pioneer pro700) works great with the cable signal and I figure it would even be better for satellite. I also have the ISCAN but the very first version without the component inputs. I use it mainly to watch dvds since the line doubler of my tv has too much noise. The improvement is significant for me. The only problem is the lockup into full mode if I do ever watch cable through the ISCAN. The newest version does not have this lock into full mode and allows you to switch to 4:3.
    I know the model 6000 is also good for 4:3 tvs since it can do the sqeeeze function so your widescreen material is in the correct resolution. Is this right?
    Who did you subscribe to? ExpressVu? I'm interested in getting HDTV service. Is it worth it?

5. Dakota_D

Dakota_D Extra

Thanks Len and Mike for your comments.
    Len I subscribe to Bell Expressvu (BEV) and for me it is definately worth it. The quality is significantly better than cable (obviously), and while there are only 2-3 hdtv channels, watching anything in hdtv (Everybody Loves Raymond, Y and R, CBS Football) is absolutely amazing. I was watching Gladiator last night and the picture is better quality than DVD, which I thought was impossible before I saw an hdtv broadcast. It is almost as if you are in the film watching from the directors chair.
    I chose Bell over Starchoice because of the ease of use with the 6000 converter, and the fact that it is hopefully rolling out some more hdtv channels in the near future. Also a big factor was a friend works for Bell and got me a "friends and family discount" on my equipment.
    I still would like a dvdo line doubler though, if it will help my tv produce a better qualilty picture, but I know my TV has built in line converter. I am not sure wether this dvdo line doubler will help my tv though. Anyone else us this on a tv that has an existing internal line doubler?
    Thanks.

6. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

The iScan will help with any 480i film-source material (from DVD, TV, VHS, LD). It can detect the 3-2 cadence in the video signal, and de-interlace it accurately to recreate a 480p image. Would this look better than the 1080i upconverison? Probably...
    The reason why I think so, is because you only have 480 lines of video information to work with anyway. Interpolating that to 1080i (using a video deinterlacing scheme) will get you no more detail - But allowing the iScan to use 3-2 pulldown detection to more accurately de-interlace the image to a clean, 480p image would.
    However, the difference may be subtle...
    Only you can decide - See if anyone sells it with a return policy...
    Good luck!
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Dakota_D

Dakota_D Extra

Hey Ryan,
    So my regular satellite channels (non hdtv) are broadcast in 480i? And having the external line doubler by DVDO is a better solution, because it converts 480i to 480p, and 480p may be (is) better than 1080i. Ok. So with a 50" 4:3 TV Toshiba 50HX70, I should notice a difference in those channels that have a lot of noise if I get the DVDO Line doubler.
    Is it worth the investment in the line doubler? Sounds like a visit to my local dealer to test these out.
    Does the DVDO Line doubler bypass my tv line doubler or should i turn off the tv line doubler if possible?
    Thanks.

8. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Right -
    Regular cable/Dss/broadcast TV is a 480i signal. The DVDO (now Silicon Image) iScan will only work with 480i material to output a 480p signal. If your TV receives a 480p signal, the internal doubler IS bypassed.
    The iScan uses 3-2 pulldown detection (cadence detection), also known as "film mode". Film mode only benifits material shot on 24fps film (the iScan does have a video mode as well, for non-film material). Basically, it can figure out which two fields to combine to reconstruct the original film frame, and throw out which field is redundant. Once it weaves the correct two frames together, it has a single 480-line progressive frame, that is true to the original (without any interpolating). These entire 480-line frames then get repeated 2 or 3 times to equal the 60Hz refresh rate.
    Your TV on the other hand, is using simple video de-interlacing to upsample the 480i signal to 480p. It doesn't recognize cadence. At best, it uses motion adaptive algorithms to interpolate 240-line fields, to 480-line fields.
    The 6000's upconversion to 1080i may magnify noise on poor channels more so than the upconversion to 480p - So it may look worse. However, it is all done digitally, inside the receiver, before output. The iScan has to redigitize an analog signal before it can work on it, which may lower horizontal resolution/detail.
    -Ryan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]