What's new

Will KING OF THE HILL Sell? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I love KOTH. It is a great show. I like it a heck of a lot more than Futurama and The Family Guy. In fact I hate Futurama. What are the release dates on KOTH?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jeff, S1 is scheduled for a 7/1 release. S2 has not yet been announced, but figuring a 6 month time between releases, I'd say late this year or early next year.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Not definitive, but as previously noted by David Lambert, Amazon.Com are listing a November 2003 release for season 2.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Im buing all of them,I love KOTH Almost if not more then the Simpsons.At least KOTH makes since ALL THE WAY THREW!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
One thing I like about this first-season set is the producers' apparent decision to include as many deleted scenes as possible -- so we'll presumably get to see stuff like the original ending of "The Company Man" (where Hank finds out that his obnoxious Yankee client isn't the owner, his wife is, and she gives Hank the account) and some of the missing scenes that fill in plot information. And if the DVD sets last long enough we might get to see whole subplots that get cut for lack of time (last year they did an episode where Hank carries the Olympic Torch -- there was an entire subplot about Luanne becoming an auxilary police officer, that was produced but cut out for lack of time).

Also, it's a minor point, but I like that Luanne is included with the Hill family on the DVD cover art, because she's my favorite character (her life reads like a tragedy, from the violent alcoholic mother to the various dead boyfriends, and yet she maintains a cheerful disposition) and she's almost never on the show nowadays. So it's nice to see a reminder that she was a major character in the early years, before she was reduced to walk-on status (yeah, Brittany Murphy's schedule has something to do with it, but I suspect the producers aren't terribly interested in the character now).

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
but I worry that it'll wind up like a Mary Tyler Moore Show situation -- namely, the first season doesn't sell enough to justify the cost of its features-packed DVD set
I wouldn't use MTM:s1 as a benchmark. Fox didn't do their research, I could have told you that it wouldn't sell well.

Mary Tyler Moore is not currently in production, reruns do not pull strong ratings, and the audience is leans older and female. That's three strikes against it! Face it--older (40-50s) white women do not buy tv shows on dvd.

KotH is currently in production, it is currently in 'first run' syndication, and it's audience leans 14-35 male. It's current multiple airings give it daily exposure, and it's audience has a more 'collecting' mentality with accompanying disposable income. Another obvoius plus: Animated and action films are big DVD sellers.

I've watched KotH from day one and have always thought the writing was 'uneven'-- but when they do a great episode, it is superior! A few of my faves.... Aisle 8A, Hanks' Dirty Laundry, Jumpin' Crack Bass, Returning Japanese.

I'll be buying the DVDs, I'll tell you what.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I'm holding out for a Region 2 announcement, but I'm definitely interested in Season sets of King of the Hill as well.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
While not a priority purchase, I'd pick this up sometime. With both Fox and The Comedy Network in Canada running it daily, I tend to watch it if it's on, "I tell you what".

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mary Tyler Moore is not currently in production, reruns do not pull strong ratings, and the audience is leans older and female. That's three strikes against it! Face it--older (40-50s) white women do not buy tv shows on dvd.
Exactly, which is a prime reason why we don't have R1 Ally McBeal sets. The Best-of didn't do well, and the audience for the show doesn't buy TV DVD sets.

Sci-Fi, Action-Adventure, Comedy sure

StevenW

Second Unit
King of the Hill is my favorite show on television right now so you better believe I'll be at Best Buy first thing in the morning when its released next month, I tell ya what!

art_vandalay

Auditioning
love this show. definite buy, even though i like the newer episode better. this show actually makes me want to visit texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keashdoc
Recent bookmarks