Will KING OF THE HILL Sell?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jaime_Weinman, May 4, 2003.

1. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

As I save up for the first two seasons of King of the Hill, I start to wonder if the show will sell well enough on DVD to justify releasing the rest of the series. The show's popular enough, especially in syndication, but it doesn't have the household-word status of The Simpsons, the sci-fi fanbase of Futurama, or the cult status of Family Guy (which I don't even like, but it undeniably sells well on DVD). I think it's great that Fox is spending so much effort and money on special features for the first season set, but I worry that it'll wind up like a Mary Tyler Moore Show situation -- namely, the first season doesn't sell enough to justify the cost of its features-packed DVD set, and the rest of the series languishes in the vaults. I hope not, because King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows and I want to get at least the first three seasons on DVD -- the first season is great, but it would be a shame if they didn't at least get to season 3, with the firefighting episode, Buckley's Angel, and so on. I keep worrying that it might not perform up to expectations on DVD, though, because its audience is not necessarily the same audience that has made other animated shows such a hit on disc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how KotH is likely to perform on DVD?

EDIT: One thing I'm basing this on -- though I realize it's not a clear indicator of how something will sell -- is the preorders at amazon.com, which don't seem all that impressive. Again, of course, amazon.com preorder rankings are not a reliable guide, but...

2. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I don't know... I stopped watching halfway through Season 2, so maby picking up Season one will rekindle my intrest for the show.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'm sure there are a few die-hard fans that will buy the set and I also think there are others that would buy it because it's being produced as a "Season" set.

Although, there are some that don't understand why I'm willing to buy EVERY Simpsons DVD set that comes out.

It all depends on what you like.

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I think you underestimate its popularity. I expect it to sell better than The Family Guy and Futurama.

5. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I would think there are a lot of casual viewers of the show who will buy it to try to watch the show from the beginning. I was in that category, planning on buying it, but am not now, in protest of Fox's treatment of the Family Guy set (censored/cut episodes, edited commentaries, recorded commentaries not used). The FG set was one of my most anticipated releases this year. And while I am enjoying it, it could (and should) have been much better.

6. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I have a feeling that it will sell well enough to warrant Fox to release the remaining seasons.

7. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Me too.

8. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I hope so too. I think the show is great and would love to see them all eventually released.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Of all the tv shows listed for voting at TVShowsOnDVD.com, King of the Hill is in the top 5% most-requested shows. 99% of voters want season sets.

While it does NOT rank higher than Futurama or Family Guy, it DOES rank higher than, say, The Dick Van Dyke show (which is also in the top 5%, by-the-way).

10. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

I stopped watching when it became too Bobby-centric. I HATE Bobby.

11. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

13. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I like animation, and have watched and purchased sets of "The Simpsons," "Family Guy," and "Futurama," but KOTH has always been one show I cannot stand. Just something about it rubs me the wrong way. So no purchase here.

15. Jimmy Kustes

Jimmy Kustes Agent

Well, Undergrads and Dilbert are also getting released. Animated DVDs always sell. It's the only genre I can think of with its own DVD fansites like DVDToons.com and AnimatedBliss.com

How many TV shows does Fox put on DVD? I mean they just released Son of the Beach and Family Guy.

16. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I am a huge fan of KOTH. I will for sure pick this up. I live in Texas, so that is probably why I like it so much.

17. Nigel W

Nigel W Extra

The show runs in syndication here in Chicago and I assume it does well - I have no numbers to support either way.

I will definitely buy this set, but I'm not sure about any of the other seasons (if they are released). The first season was outstanding.

18. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

KOTH is consistently well-written and wonderfully acted. It's one of my favorite television shows, animated or live action. I'm not sure if I can afford the season sets right now. All my money is going toward BUFFY and ANGEL at the moment. I still need to get ST:TNG and B5 as well. AIGHHH so many shows, so little moolah.

19. Jimmy Kustes

Jimmy Kustes Agent

As far as TV shows ar concerned, which should I pick up Son of the Beach, Dark Angel, or Mr.Show?

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer