What's new

Will JBL NSP1 work with my room acoustics? (1 Viewer)

Alexander-G

Agent
I’m a newbie trying to put together my first home theater system. I got a DVD player as wedding gift and it is frustrating not to have yet taken advantage of its sound capability.

I already own a Pioneer _ DV 626-D DVD Player and have just ordered the following HT package based on strong reviews in this forum:

JBL NSP1
That budget Sony sub (can’t recall the name)
H/K AVR 320

My question is whether this setup will work with my Manhattan apt. My HT space is would be quite small (about 12x9 ft.) except that the room is L -Shaped so that when you are watching TV, there is no left wall but instead a larger 20x12 space. In the same direction moreover, that space opens onto an additional a 7 x 12 foyer. So essentially its like I having a 28x18 room that has an internal wall in one part of it, creating a 12x9 alcove that is open on the left.

(I know this confusing. I tried drawing a floor plan, but it would lose its proportions when I tried to post).

I am wondering what the acoustic consequence of this size may be and, specifically, whether my budget package will fill the space or be degraded by the open left side.

Finally, any thoughts on whether my DVD player is any good? – it’s from two years ago and I haven’t seen any reviews on this site.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While it is a large area to fill, the 320 should have no problems power wise. With proper calibration, they should be able to sustain decent listening levels for movies. There will be interactions from the open side, but I have a similar setting and it works fine. Placement of the speakers will make all the difference.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Reviews of your DVD
I think you'll be very happy with the setup.
Just take some time and put the sub in as many possible places to see where it sounds the best, each time adjusting it's volume to balance with the rest of the system.
Good Luck!

Alexander-G

Agent
Thanks so much for the responses.

I’d like to say first that I’ve been reading these boards for a few days and am very impressed by how considerate and responsive people are, even to newbies asking questions that have doubtless been asked many times before. Thanks!
Regarding my specific issue, I will definitely play with the subwoofer (although the only real wife-approved spots for it will be to the right of the couchs or to the side of the TV).

More generally, I have read the primer on speaker placements. Does anyone have an idea of what specific adjustments to the standard setup I might contemplate given my situation?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You will almost certainly need an SPL (sound pressure level) meter to get this setup just right.
For the sub, start with it close to a wall, preferably in a corner. Walls will reinforce the sub's response, but could make it too boomy, which the SA-WM40 already leans towards. The simplest way to find a good spot for it, is to put it near your listening position, then *crawl* around the room to spots where you will be able to place the sub. Put it in the spot where the bass sounds the best.
Welcome to HTF, by the way :D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
This is where it comes down to you, the room, and your tastes.

Put the speakers first in the spots where they LOOK the most appropriate, and be as symmetrical as possible with regard to the main listening position.

If something doesn't sound quite right, experiment.

It's an on-going process from there, tweaking and upgrading, forever and ever...

A free tip - disable the tone controls (Tone Out) and let the system do it's thing.

Enjoy!!

EDIT - And Mr. Garcia's tips on the sub are good ones. SPL meter = a very good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks