What's new

Will it improve? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
If I upgrade my receiver from 70 WPC to 125 WPC, will I also hear an improvement with the bass of my subwoofer?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Answering this question would be kinda like judging the performance of two cars by comparing their weight. My 65wpc Harman Kardon receiver is definitely more powerful than my 110 wpc Kenwood.

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. what if let's say it's the same brand, from a Denon 1602 to a 3802? Which receviers are known to have better bass output?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Given a choice I would say the more watts the merrier but if you're looking to improve sound quality you'd probably get more bang for your buck by upgrading speakers. A more powerful receiver will likley have minimal effect on providing more bass at equivilant volume levels.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
If I upgrade my receiver from 70 WPC to 125 WPC, will I also hear an improvement with the bass of my subwoofer?
What kind of improvement are you looking for? Quality or impact? What kind of sub do you have? If your sub has its own internal amp and you're sending a line-level signal to the sub via the LFE out, changing to a higher powered receiver is not going to change your sound. Try moving the sub closer to or further away from the corner of the room. The closer to the corner, the more bass you get. If your problem is too much bass, move the sub away from the corner. If you have a passive sub (no built-in amp), then getting a separate amp for the sub might be the ticket.

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Velodyne CHT-120, but don't have the need for it anymore since I bought full-range Mission 705a's. Each tower has two 8" woofers and go as low as the Velodyne can. The speakers are bi-wired. With two pairs going to the L/R outs and a sub coax cable for the woofers. Each tower also has its own amp.

I only have the Denon 1602 now, that's why I'm looking at an upgrade. With speakers of this kind, they definitely need more power.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Ryan

The Misssion 705A has powered bass built in. Mid range and treble don't tax an amplifier very much. So your 1602 should be quite adequate.

Artie

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Yup thats right. I was just wondering though if the increase in wattage would help.

anyway thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks