What's new

will it do me any good? (1 Viewer)

nate g

Auditioning
I have a 27" Dyna-flat Analog Samsung (16:9 mode capable), connected to my non-progressive scan Sony DVD via Monster component cables.

Will i get a improvement in picture upgrading to a progressive scan player?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Unless your tv can display 480p, and analog sets can't, you will get no improvement in picture quality from a progressive scan player. You set can't display progressive scan.

That being said, an interlaced picture with a 27" set that has a 16/9 mode like yours is very nice indeed. The improvement with progressive scan is noticeable on a set that size that can do it, but not as dramatic as on a larger screen.

nate g

Auditioning
thanks for the reply, but...

you say "I wil get no improvement in picture quality" because i can't display progressive scan video. I figured that much. But then you say that progressive scan is a little noticable on my set when in 16:9 mode.

I think I'm a bit confused now.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
you say "I wil get no improvement in picture quality" because i can't display progressive scan video. I figured that much. But then you say that progressive scan is a little noticable on my set when in 16:9 mode.
No, you read his post wrong. He wrote that an interlaced picture in 16:9 mode on a TV that size looks nice, and progressive looks good on a TV that size if the TV is capable of displaying a progrssive picture. Yours isn't capable of progressive display, so you will get no benefit.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Actually what I was trying to say was that the difference between progressive scan and interlaced (independent of 16/9 mode) will be noticeable on a 27" set, but not as much as it would be on a larger screen, so Nate should not feel he has to run out and get a 480p capable 27" set to replace his very nice brand-new analog model.

One of the nice things about a good direct-view set in this screen size is that it can produce a really jewel-like picture even without progressive scan. When you get into the mid 30" or larger sets and especially rptvs, the scanlines start to get a lot more distracting making progressive scan a lot more of an advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks