1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

will it do me any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by nate g, Dec 11, 2002.

1. nate g

nate g Auditioning

I have a 27" Dyna-flat Analog Samsung (16:9 mode capable), connected to my non-progressive scan Sony DVD via Monster component cables.

Will i get a improvement in picture upgrading to a progressive scan player?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Unless your tv can display 480p, and analog sets can't, you will get no improvement in picture quality from a progressive scan player. You set can't display progressive scan.

That being said, an interlaced picture with a 27" set that has a 16/9 mode like yours is very nice indeed. The improvement with progressive scan is noticeable on a set that size that can do it, but not as dramatic as on a larger screen.

3. nate g

nate g Auditioning

thanks for the reply, but...

you say "I wil get no improvement in picture quality" because i can't display progressive scan video. I figured that much. But then you say that progressive scan is a little noticable on my set when in 16:9 mode.

I think I'm a bit confused now.

4. nate g

nate g Auditioning

?

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Actually what I was trying to say was that the difference between progressive scan and interlaced (independent of 16/9 mode) will be noticeable on a 27" set, but not as much as it would be on a larger screen, so Nate should not feel he has to run out and get a 480p capable 27" set to replace his very nice brand-new analog model.

One of the nice things about a good direct-view set in this screen size is that it can produce a really jewel-like picture even without progressive scan. When you get into the mid 30" or larger sets and especially rptvs, the scanlines start to get a lot more distracting making progressive scan a lot more of an advantage.