What's new

Will 'Into the West' Be on the ROTK EE? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Nobody knows, Craig. "Gollum's Song" wasn't on the extended cut of Towers, it was on the theatrical. "Into the West" might be be on the extended cut of King, since it wasn't on the theatrical. Nobody really knows at this point outside of the folks putting together the DVD.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Were the videos for "May It Be" and "Gollum's Song" ever shown outside the TE DVDs? I watch barely any TV, so the first I saw them was on the DVDs. If they were shows outside of the discs, was there even a video for Into the West,?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hey, anyone notice how "May It Be" got no love on the FOTR EE? They didn't even mention it when they were going over all the songs for the film!

Don't remember watching the music videos anywhere outside of the DVDs but I did watch something that claimed to be the music video for Gollum's Song but was nothing more than the song set to the trailer.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Hey, anyone notice how "May It Be" got no love on the FOTR EE? They didn't even mention it when they were going over all the songs for the film!"

a) Emilliana Torrini's video for "Gollum's Song" isn't on the Extended Edition of Two Towers, either.

b) On a completely terciary note, rumour has it that Enya's people apparently proved to be "difficult". While the CD for the LOTR:FOTR score has extensive (and if I may be so bold, annoying) promotional materials dedicated to Enya, by the time the EE DVD hit, discussion and promotion of Enya in conjunction with LOTR had seemingly vanished completely.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The music videos that were on the TEs weren't on the EEs becauase New Line said they weren't going to duplicate any special features between the two releases.
Hmmm... Along those same lines, "May It Be" is not performed during the live "Lord of the Rings" Symphony performances, but "Gollum's Song" & "Into The West" are.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I know the video for "Gollum's Song" isn't on the EE, but it just seemed like a gaping whole when they failed to mention "May It Be" in the music featurette. They went as far as to discuss Enya's other contributions to the film and pretty much covered every song but"May It Be" which gave them an Oscar nomination.

Maybe Craig's note that "May It Be" isn't performed during the LOTR Symphony is further evidence that they're trying to erase the song from memory. (Partly kidding)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
But there is a very logical reason for that.

According to the CDs, "Gollum's Song" had music by Shore and lyrics by Walsh
"Into the West" credits words and music to Shore, Walsh and Lennox.

But "May It Be" is credited 'Composed and performed by Enya, lyrics by Roma Ryan'.
So Howard Shore had nothing to do with that song, therefore, not in the symphony.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
KLBJ-AM uses "May it Be" as underscore as they present an audio montage of recent events from the late 90's on up to the present day. Damn if it doesn't choke me up.

I may always associate Fellowship of the Ring with the weeks after 9/11, but that's not the reason I think it is the best of the films. It's a subtext, but it only proves the "applicability" of the text that Tolkien historians speak about.

I think Fellowship is the best of the three films because it is so fiercely character driven, with spectacle presented from the point of view of the characters. Viggo Mortensen lamented how each of the LOTR films became less and less subtle -- Fellowship remains the most fresh and immediate and innocent (and least manipulative) of the three films.

Perhaps the films are a victim of their own success. When we saw Fellowship, we were dazzled. After seeing the FOTR:EE bonus features, we could easily spot the foam-rubber "Merry Puppet" on the horse with Gandalf as he rode around the set of Minas Tirith. But I think Viggo had a point. The films became inreasingly self-aware, to the point where the focus tilted more towards the director than the story. The series is at its best when the characters take the stage and enact Tolkien's story -- the series is at its worst when the creative team of Jackson, Boyens, and Walsh indulge themselves and force moments that are more at home in a video game than a serious war drama.

Fellowship is the most restrained along these lines -- and as such, it is the best of the three.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I thought this was a disc ussion of the songs and whether on not "Into the West" will make an appearance on the ROTK EE.

One comment on your thoughts Ernest...the same can be said of the books themselves. It began as a sequel to the hobbit, and thus FOTR has a more intimate feel. While the latter books have those intimate moments, the story itself becomes much more epic, and in order to squeeze it into the theatrical running time, character moments had to be dropped, many of which were (and will be) reinserted for the EEs.

Let's all be thankful that New Line didn't hold PJ to 2 hour runtimes on all three films.

Anyway, enough about that. If we need to have a debate as to which of the films is the best, I suggest a new thread get started rather than hijacking this one.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
A Bug's Life
Tron: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition
Amadeus: Director's Cut
Goldeneye
Bruce Springsteen / Live in New York City
Black Hawk Down

raved about the dd as all the above discs at time of review didnt have a dts track so nothing to compare it to

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
If there was an Into the West video, I never saw it.

"raved about the dd as all the above discs at time of review didnt have a dts track so nothing to compare it to."

Just their own ears. Those discs feature wonderful - and in some cases, award-winning - audio presentations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.