Will Intel entering the TV market bring prices down alot?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I don't know much about the technologies of TVs, but I know a couple weeks ago Intel said they were going to enter the market in some capacity, not sure what capacity that is. How is this going to effect the overall TV market? Will prices come down drastically when Intel starts manufacturing? Just curious.

2. SteveAnd

SteveAnd Extra

First and foremost, you have to remember that this is Intel. They are famous for saying things well in advance of an actual product(paper release). What they are supplying is merely a chip, which you can read about all over the place. As to when, how many & if prices will drop-depends on how many manufacturers use the Intel chips, and if the costs to do so really save the manufacturer's some money, which Intel claims. However, keep in mind that they will probably not be cheap right off the bat. I doubt that any of the manufacturer's will want to introduce a new set to the market which is cheaper and better than all their other offerings. Wouldn't make much sense, would it? If everything happens the way Intel claims it will, then we will have HDTV utopia. Considering that we are talking about Intel, I'll believe it when I see it.

3. SteveNixon

SteveNixon Extra

I read somewhere a claim of a 50 inch DLPish HDTV for a thousand dollars at years end. Believe it when I see it.