Will IF.... (R1) follow the R2 release (on 12/2)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roderick Gauci, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

I read on another Forum that Linday Anderson's masterpiece IF... (1968) will be released on R2 later this year. Incidentally, today I came across the release date (12/2) in a British DVD magazine.

The thread mentioned that the R2 disc will probably include a recently recorded audio commentary by the film's leading actor, Malcolm McDowell. As Paramount will release both R1 and R2 versions, let's hope that, first of all, the R1 disc will not be too far behind and that it will have the commentary as well!

This was McDowell's first important role and he obviously owes a great deal to Anderson, whom he considers his mentor. Obviously Stanley Kubrick must have watched IF... as he chose McDowell for the thematically similar A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971). Later on, Anderson and IF... screenwriter David Sherwin continued the adventures of Mick Travis (the character played by McDowell) in O LUCKY MAN! (1973) and BRITANNIA HOSPITAL (1982). The latter is already out on R1 DVD from Anchor Bay, albeit bare-bones, so the IF... commentary should prove very interesting as McDowell will probably discuss the entire "Mick Travis" trilogy.

But this, of course, brings us to the question: when will Warners elect to release O LUCKY MAN! on DVD, perhaps the most accomplished (and enjoyable) of the three, due in part to the presence of Ralph Richardson and the brilliantly infectious score by Alan Price. Hopefully, when it does come out, it will be the original full-length version running 192 mins., which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival (the PAL VHS copy I own is only 169 mins. long!).

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I too am hoping the R1 disc will have the commentary. I'm not much of a fan of either IF... or Britannia Hospital, but consider O LUCKY MAN one of my favorite McDowell films. Image released OLM on LD at 178 minutes, so if there is more out there somewhere, I ohpe it can be included somehow, either in feature or as a supplement.

3. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Count me as another anxiously awaiting an R1 release, hopefully with this commentary!
    - Guy

4. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Saw If... on British TV back in 1977 during a year-long stay in the country; I was too young to understand much, only 12 or 13 at the time, but I do seem to recall snippets like the girl walking nude thru the science lab, stopping to examine a human(?) fetus in a jar.

Looking forward to seeing this again with a more mature and intellectual eye.