What's new

Will I regret this PC purchase? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm 90% sold on the below Medion PC package, EXCEPT one thing is bugging me. It can only expand it's memory up to 1G.

However, compared to the other PC's I've considered, it offers PC3200 memory and the PC is P4 with HT. Is this type of memory and Pentium configuration considered faster than the 2700 type memory with just an AMD system (another PC I'm considering offers this- emachine T3092)

At most Id be using Paint Shop Pro 8 and my wife and I build websites with Webeasy pre-made website creator. All that and surfing via DSL is about all we do.

So would I be ok and future-proof going the Medion route?

Can't go Dell route since we rely on the Best Buy 2 year no interest deals to update our old PC's.

Thanks for your input.

Alfer
MEDION

Leo_P

Second Unit
Yeah that sounds like a decent PC. Even though I've NEVER heard of the brand. But if you HAVE to stick with BB, I guess you could do worse.
As far as only being able to expand to 1 Gig of memory, 1 GB is good for most applications and users (but I don't know how much Paint Shop Pro 8 or Webeasy will tax a system). So unless you're running a server, I think you'll be fine with 1 GB of PC3200.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Just got back from BB... made it all the way through check out (bought some software and 512 memory + Rewards program card) and they said "sorry, it doesn't qualify for 2 year no interest..." Sales dweeb told me no fewer than TWO times before the sale that it DID qualify.

Manager said there was nothing he could do for us except write the kid up for poor sales pitch methods.

:frowning:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Well I went to BB.com and low and behold it allowed me to order the whole Medion package WITH 2 year no interest without ANY problems or sales pitches to buy their 3 year warranty. :)

It ships today...now it's time to sell off my old PC's.

Alfer

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've heard a lot of good feedback on the brand on fatwallet's bargain forum about Medion PCs.

The Medion brand is unknown here, but it is supposed to be a very good brand overseas (Germany, I think?).

Just what I heard, thought I'd pass it along.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Alf, I just saw a Medion for the first time last night at Best Buy. Do you still have yours? How do you like it?

Edit- I just saw a post of yours from mid-November that was pretty positive, & you would've had the PC 3 months or so at that point. Has your opinion of it changed any since then?

The deal BB has now is 12 months no interest, & their store circular says that applies to all PC packages, except clearance, open box, etc. I could afford to pay upfront if I have to, but when they're offering to spread it over a year, why bother?

It seems like the payment plans have gotten worse the last couple years. It used to be common to see no interest, no payment deals for 6, 12, 18 months. Now they seem to be just no interest. For the last PC I bought, I didn't pay a penny for it for 18 months, although I got the rebate money within 90 days.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey Chris,

Still lovin the Medion. Not a single problem to date.

Runs VERY quiet.

Overall I'm a very happy Medion customer.

DaveNel

Second Unit
You wouldnt really need more than 1GB Brain in your PC any way lessn you be working for Billy Gates :D

Thats a Decent PC no questions in my mind..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks