1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Will I regret buying the Sony DVPNS725P DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Ely, Apr 13, 2004.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

In about 3 months I will be buying a Samsung HCN4226WX 42" RPTV. I will need a new DVD player that supports progressive scan to go along with it.

Future Shop is currently clearing out the Sony DVPNS725P for $150Cdn. I've heard a lot of good things about the unit and also a lot of negative discussion about the chroma bug. Some people say they don't notice the chroma bug with this player, but others say they do.

So ... here's my dilemma. I really like the price for this unit. Unfortunately, stock is limited and they will not be getting more. I'm willing to buy it now, but won't get to use it in progressive mode until I get my new TV.

I'd love to get any feedback about this player. All responses are greatly appreciated.

2. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

i've got that player. seems fine to me. maybe i don't know what to look for.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

David, you don't HAVE to get a progressive scan DVD player just because you are getting a HDTV. You can feed any HDTV a interlaced signal and let the TV use its progressive scanning. If you do get a new DVD player with progressive scan, I'd look for a DCDi Faroudja machine (yamaha, denon and older Panasonics have some models).

4. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I have it and a HDTV and I have to admit, while the picture and sound quality are good, I do have the wants for a much better unit (better DAC's and Faroudja/Silicon Image DCDi). With mine, I have noticed major time delays with layer changes (and some minor delays with scene changes as well) and it's a very picky machine. If the DVD's aren't darn near pefect, it will skip like a banchee. However, it's very well built and will probably last forever. I do notice the chroma bug......
    On a scale of 1-10 (10 being beset) I would give it a solid 6 over all for the $115 I paid on sale @ CC.