What's new

Will I regret buying a DLP set after having a good CRT tube set? (1 Viewer)

Triad Caniac

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrett
I currently have a Panasonic CT34WX50 34" widescreen CRT tube set. It is properly calibrated and looks phenomenal, especially with HD sources. I have recently considered upgrading to a larger set because my new home will have a much larger great room. I've looked at some sets and read the reviews and had decided on the Mitsubishi 52525 52" DLP, but held off on getting it to save up a few more $$.

In reading the review of the set in the new Sound & Vision magazine, they talk a little about the set performing better than other DLP sets in the areas of shadow detail, video noise and rainbow effects. And that was after calibration. It made me wonder if I may be disappointed with the picture after looking at a good picture over the last three years, especially on DVD sources.

Any thoughts?

Jarrett

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
No thoughts, but I have the Panasonic CT34WX50 34" also upstairs in my bedroom. I have yet to see a better picture on anything yet. I have a Mits Diamond RPTV downstairs and have seen a few DLP displays.

If only our Taus were larger!

My prediction? It depends on how much you value screen size.

PQ for PQ, you will be disappointed. It's too much to ask of a HD2+ 52" DLP to match the PQ of a direct view, 34" calibrated CRT.

Frankly, a calibrated CRT RPTV can get a lot closer, but that has form factor limitations.

RichG

Agent
I used to have a calibrated 34xbr910 and am extremely satisified with my new Hitachi 57X500 RPTV. In a nutshell, you lose just a tad of sharpness, in exchange for the "you are there reality" you can only get with a big screen. A 34 inch tv looks like a tv no matter how sharp the picture, whereas the big screen RPTV makes you feel like you are at the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks