will I notice any difference?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ronneil Camara, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Currently, I have Paradigm Atoms for my mains and svs pci 20-39 for the sub. Bass is only set to sub at 100 hz cross over.

Will there be a dramatic improvement if I upgrade to Paradigm Monitor 7 for the mains when watching movies?

Thanks.

Neil

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There will be a huge difference.

3. Ronneil Camara

Can you explain to me in a much more detail? [​IMG]

Thanks.

4. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

First off I know everyone likes a different sound....but If you crossover at 80 you will be letting that SVS do all the low work.

As far as moving from Atoms to the Monitor line you will hear a noticable difference. Although if your primarily HT I wouldn't go with the 7's. I would go with Mini-Monitors and the CC-370. That would be a great combo for HT and even music with the SVS. You would save some money to put into some DVD's, or whatever you wanted.

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i think he chose the 100Hz xover based upon his current speakers' capabilities

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Even going from the Atoms to the Phanotms, there would be a considerable difference in sound. When I had Atoms and crossed them over at 100Hz, they still seemed to lack enough extension to blend with my sub. Going to 7s from Atoms will be a considerably big jump, giving you a much clearer, more full midrange. If you listen to music, this might be a good way to go, but as David notes, if you mostly watch movies, 5s or Minis will probably do just fine since you already have the sub well handled.

7. Ronneil Camara

What about the soundstage in minis or in monitor 7's?

Thanks guys.

8. DavidCooper

The soundstage with the Mini's is pretty darn good. They can put up a pretty big and wide image. The detail isn't bad either...again this is considering their price.

I will make a side not here: I used to have Mini's as my mains and I really enjoyed them. I decided to try something different though due to feeling the Mini's were a bit too harsh in the highs for me. I tried out a pair of Swan 2.1's (roughly the same price as the Minis)...long story short.....the Swans walk all over the Mini's. They also sound as good if not better than the Studio 20's. The Swans through up a MUCH bigger and detailed soundstage. Huge difference.

9. Ronneil Camara

Hmmm. I just don't know how Swans would perform with Yamaha receiver. It's because, other people have been telling me that Yamaha receiver and Paradigm speakers are good match.

But I'm interested in those Swans too. What model are you talking about?

Thanks.

10. Ronneil Camara

And also guys, can you tell me what model the Minis are in?

Thanks.

Neil

11. DavidCooper

As far as the Swan model im talking about it's the 2.1 bookshelf. Although they are pretty darn big weighing in at 27lbs each.

I doubt you would have any problem with the Yamaha running them....I used to have a Yamaha with my Paradigms and I kind of thought they sounded a bit to harsh.....I switched to a Denon and that seemed to tame it a bit...although this is extremely subjective. I think both are great receivers.

The Minis that I had were the current model V3's.

12. Ronneil Camara

What was the reason again why some people were not recommending the monitor 7s?

And also, I went to swan website but they didn't have any picture for the 2.1.

13. DavidCooper

They have a picture of the 2.1's in rosewood....and if you go into the forum part there is a thread that has some great pics of the 2.1 in someones living room.

I just feel that if your mainly a HT guy that you could stretch your budget by going with the Minis. If your are crossing over with your receiver at 80Hz (very common) and your have your speakers all set to "small" you really don't need the full range tower. This again is somewhat subjective...you will see a ton of threads with people debating the all matching bookshelf with a good sub system vs. the towers in the front thing. It can be a matter of taste and a matter of budget. For my listening habits and money I have always felt that matching GOOD bookshelves with a GOOD sub and properly calibrated will sound every bit as good (if not better) than tower fronts etc. To each his own though!

14. Ronneil Camara

In my case, if I want to go with Monitor 7s, I can do it this way. If I am watching movies, I'll set my speakers to small(current setting) plus the crossover (80hz or 100hz). Now, if I will be listening to music, I'll set my sub out to fronts, set the speaker to large. This way, no bass will go to my svs. I'm saying this because, my SVS doesn't provide strong bass but the feel.

What do you think it?

Thanks.

15. DavidCooper

Well if I had towers I would still use my SVS. When my Denon is set to "direct" mode it will play full range through the fronts. However, I still want my SVS to handle any low and crazy bass that the towers won't handle. Afterall...that is what the SVS is for! Strong, clean, accurate bass for movies AND music.

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ronneil I agree with the comments that you're likely better off going with better quality bookshelves vs the tower 7's given you already such a capable subwoofer in place. Its curious you said the SVS doens't give you the bass but does give you the feel..to me that means its working just fine it just you aren't getting any bloated mid bass that you're used to hearing. I'd also give a nod to the Swan's if you're looking to move up on the sound quality scale

17. Ronneil Camara

Hi Andrew,

Honestly, I am very happy with the SVS. It shakes my house.

Going back to the bookshelf, what do you mean when you said "sound quality scale"? Where you saying the Swan 2.1 is better than the Mini Monitor?

Thanks.

18. DavidCooper

That's exactly what he is saying. I have directly A/B'd them in my home and there is a BIG difference between the two.

19. Ronneil Camara

Hmmm, looks like I want to try Swans [​IMG]
    But any links here within htf about Swans speaker reviews?

20. DavidCooper

There isn't a lot of current talk on them. Unfortunate because they are one of the best speakers you can buy for the money (IMO).

It seems a lot of the talk died down when Rockets became the next big thing....but you can still find several Swan guys on this board...and you should look at the Swan forum over at www.theaudioinsider.com