Will I notice an improvement when going from 5 ch amp to mono blocks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thinking fo going to a Parasound mono amp to power the center channel (Def Tech CLR2000) and relieve the HK5800 from 5 channel duties by having it olny power the mains and surrounds...The amp is a Parasound HCA1201A (150watts). Will I notice anything better when it comes to dialog or will it be about the same since it's not quite twice the power of my existing amp? Anyone have experience with this amp? If this is a good step up, I may go to monoblocks all around.

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

If your plan is to end up with monoblocks all around then go for it but you won't notice much difference if you start with the center channel, IMO. You would be better off getting the mains powered by external amplification since they get the biggest workout. I am assuming you set your center speaker to small, I'm not familiar with the Deftech?

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

I've had both the HK pa5800 and the parasound monoblock amp. I can tell you that you almost assuredly wont hear a difference. I had the 1201 driving a sub and decided to try it on the center and couldnt tell any difference between it and the HK 5800.

Besides that the 1201 isnt really a parasound amp, its a soundstream in parasound clothing. Not cracking on it but I felt like the HK was just as powerfull. Plus the 1201 had a bad hum and ran really hot.

4. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The H/K PA5800 is a very capable amp, and I doubt you'd hear a difference with the Parasound monoblocks. Save your money for a substantial upgrade.

5. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

to be a little more exact, the parasound is a soundstream design with not so great parts, hence the problems that these monoblocks tend to have.

Marc

6. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

hmmm.. thanks guys. With all the nice specs and THX rating I expected these to be comparable to Marantz M500 or M700. I guess thats a long shot. Good thing my PA5800 has some favorable mentions. I just knew that having its own transformer and power supply and good 4ohm rating it would eat a channel of a PA5800 for lunch.

7. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Those parasound amps are of subpar design/parts-quality/build. You are better off with a single multichannel parasound amp. If you want monoblock on the cheap, I guess Marantz is the way to go. Bryston Power pack is a couple of step up on that. For true monoblock, that is a totally different thing.