Will I notice an audible difference between a 15 and 35ft front speaker wire run?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Todd smith, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I am planning on putting in a front projection system in my HT, but in order to do so I will have to move the equipment rack to the back of the room. By doing this I will have to make my front speaker wire runs 35ft instead of 15ft which is where they are at now. Will there be an audible difference by adding 20 more ft on to each speaker wire for the front 3 speakers? I am using sound king 12awg wire right now, but might move up to some 10awg for this remodel. Will I hear a sound difference If I do this?

My other option is to move the epuipment rack just outside the room which would let me leave the speaker wire the same length it is now, but I would have to run all my video cables considerably longer. Specifically the hdmi cable which would have to be about a 40ft run. I have heard it is not good to run the hdmi cable for extended lengths like this. Is this true? What is my best option here? I dont want to degrade the front soundstage either.

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Wth 12 gauge wire that distance will be no problem. You shouldn't hear any differences.

3. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Cool. I wasnt sure. Thanks for the reply.

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

There is no reason to hear a difference. I also run about 30ft of Sound King's 12ga to my fronts and for peace-of-mind I simply use the same lengths for all speakers.

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i think the general consensus for speaker wire length is that audibily there shouldn't be any ascertainable sonic differences assuming a proper gauge is used. the only reason to have same length is for your own peace of mind and for resale ability. it's a lot easier to sell a pair of cables the same length than two totally different lengths.

kevin t