Will I notice a HUGE improvement with a Denon A/V Receiver vs my current Sony?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I have some $$ set aside for new speakers (probably the Energy Take 5.2 set) - which I desperately need to replace my old Sony HT in a box speakers that I have been using for the past 4 years now.
    I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a used Denon 3300 for a good price to replace my Sony STR-DB930, which has served me well for the past couple years.
    My question is:
    Will I (and my SO) notice enough of a difference with the Denon vs. the Sony to warrant the Denon purchase?
    Or should I just hold on to the Sony, upgrade my speakers now and then get a Denon 2802 or 3802 later on in 2002?
    BTW: Andrew, you aren't allowed to post your comments [​IMG]
    Thanks for any guidance or suggestions!
    * For refernce, my system consists of:
    Sony Kp-57HW40 57 HD Ready TV
    Sony SAT-T60 DIRECTV w/ TiVo
    Panasonic RP-91 (Black)
    Sony PS 2
    Sony CDP-910 CD player
    Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD player
    Pronto
    crappy Sony speaker set w/ no Sub (I just sold the Sub)
    Mike

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, without question, you should hear an improvement. Weather or not it is worth it is up to you.

3. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Michael ...

See my HT in the sig below for my answer.

BTW ... I myself have replaced a Sony receiver.

4. Scott Quick

Scott Quick Agent

Michael,

Yes, a Denon will be a night and day difference. BUT, you first must upgrade your speakers. This will be the greatest upgrade you can do. Trust me. I've never heard the Energy systems, but have heard great things about them - best of luck,

Just my humble opinion,

Scott

5. Rob Peloski

Rob Peloski Agent

It certainly sounds like your speakers are by far "the weakest link" in your system. (Sony DB Receivers although not the best, really aren't that bad...only one step below ES line) Therefore it would make the most sense to replace your speakers first.

You'll get a far greater improvement by replacing the speakers then you would by changing receivers. (I know this from experience, when I changed receivers I got an improvement. But when I changed from my old speakers to my new Athenas I noticed a much larger improvement)

So, unless you only have a one time chance at getting a large discount on the Denon, I would get the speakers first.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

well although this will seem biased before I bought my 3300 I tried the 930 and returned it in favor of the Denon. I was using them both as pre amps at the time and what sold me on the Denon was its musical abilities and the much lower noise floor. If you're primarily concerned with big action flicks etc then the Sony should do you fine but if you care about music then yes the Denon will offer a lot more then what you're currently getting with the Sony. Like I said it might seem biased but I have tried both in my HT and choose the Denon.

7. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Michael,

I'd get new speakers for the front three and a good sub first. Use the Sonys for rears. Then sell the Sony and with another $300 approxiamately get a Denon 3802 instead of 3300.

The speakers and especially the sub for HT will have the biggest impact on your system.

Good luck,

Gil

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I agree (with Gil), get speakers first, and then save up for the 3802.