Will I notice a difference if I upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by russ_hudson, Jan 17, 2004.

1. russ_hudson

russ_hudson Auditioning

My current receiver is a JVC RX7000V and my speakers are all Sony speakers that are about 4 years old (front speakers are SS-U481AV). My subwoofer is an Infinity Interlude IL100.

I am looking at upgrading my receiver to an Onkyo SR601 but am curious if I would really notice much of a difference. I use my system basically for HT use only.

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded from a 1 1/2 year old Sony receiver from a HTiB, and at the time I only had 2 Polk R20 bookshelves, and the rest were the stock satelites. Stock sub too. HUGE difference. Especially 2 channel signals, mostly TV. I upgraded to an Onkyo TX-SR501, just a step down. I say go for it!

3. V JACKSON

V JACKSON Agent

Russ, although you might notice a difference in performance of your system with a new receiver, based on your system I would recommend upgrading your speakers first, as they really determine how your system sounds and also the fact that while Sony is a great electronics company, they are not a speaker manufacturer ie; Klipsch, Polk Audio, Energy, B&W, ETC...............

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - I agree w/ V Jackson - your speakers are definitely way worse than your receiver. Maybe grab onto a Polk RTi closeout deal? That would probably be most economical depending on your budget, otherwise I would say go used w/ a better company.

5. MichaelBAr

MichaelBAr Stunt Coordinator

Are kenwoods good? I have a pair of klipsch and an extra pair of kenwoods in the garage?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The Kenwoods with all due respect, belong in the garage. My own opinion is that there's little to commend Japanese speakers while those that come from say China seem to be made with better components and a better understanding of design principles.

7. russ_hudson

russ_hudson Auditioning

Thanks for the response guys. I believe I will replace my speakers before I replace my receiver. Let me ask one last dumb speaker question. I am not in a position where I can go and listen to a lot of speakers and I will be ordering my speakers online. In my case, what should I look for as far as deciding on speakers?? What specs and so forth??

8. Ernest Yee

What's your budget?

9. russ_hudson

russ_hudson Auditioning

My budget is around $1000 for speakers and a new receiver (I am planning on keeping my Infinitey subwoofer). The receiver I have been looking at is the Onkyo SR601 which I can get for around $350 - $400.

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I know you can save money ordering on-line, but you really can't replace a live audition of speakers to decide. Specs are not as important as how the speakers sound to you.

If you are set on ordering on-line, make sure that the company offers a 100% money back guarantee if not satisfied. Just my 2 cents worth, FWIW.

11. Ernest Yee

Personally, if it were me w/ that money, I would probably spend $1000 on a great pair of bookshelves (maybe the matching center if you can stretch it but you might just want to phantom in the meantime) and a receiver to hold you off while you slowly expand the set.

Even an Axiom set will run past $1k which would leave no room for the receiver end. But if you piece it out, you can make an OUTSTANDING set vs a mediocre set if you do it all at once.

That Onkyo IMO wouldn't be too great a jump. You might want to look into that Denon deal - that receiver would probably last you a while although that would require more budgeting since it's at the $700 range. But it would power a lot more speaker than the Onkyo.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

IMHO this is a mistake. The biggest issue I find with speakers with a return policy is that if you have to box them back up because you don't like the sound you are going to be influenced more to keep them due to the time and trouble it takes to do this. In this case you are going to stick to what you bought and be disatisfied in the long run.

I would use a site like Audioenvy to your advantage before I'd take what literally is a shot in the dark when buying Online speakers.

How old are the Klipschs in the garage?

13. V JACKSON

V JACKSON Agent

I wouldn't recommend you buy speakers on-line without hearing them first. Again these are what ultimately determine how your system sounds. Take the time and go LISTEN to various brands, and then look for the best deal on-line if you want.................

14. chun howe

chun howe Stunt Coordinator

$1000 for speakers (i believe its front, rear and center) budget, your option will be limited.

checked out hookontronics.com for energy speakers.
    etronics.com is another place you can get great deals.

believe me, i had the same budget to start with but the more you hang out here the budget will increase rapidly[​IMG]

by the time i am done shopping i double my budget.
    not counting upgrades.[​IMG]

15. Minesh Patel

Minesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

Well, you could get the Rocket ELT minus sub for $699 - many, many raving fans here and at AVSforum. Check them out: www.av123.com

For the record, I own Axioms [​IMG]