What's new

Will I notice a better picture if I upgrade my Panasonic DVD A110? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Yes, I have one of the originals still working :) and even though it works fine the upgrade bug is biting me. What I'm wondering is will I notice a better picture if I upgrade to a newer model?
I want to spend between $200 - $300, progressive scan is not required since my 4:3 TV still works fine, but DVD Audio would be nice. What do you recommend? What model currently gives the best conversion for 4:3 sets?
Kyle

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
the Panasonic RA-60 produces an outstanding interlaced picture (including excellent anamorphic downconversion), and has DD/DTS decoding and DVD-Audio capability. I'm not sure how it compared to your A110 though since I've never seen one in action.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Unless you move up to progressive scan, I'm not convinced you'll see much improvement in the picture. I still have a working A310, and IMO the downconversion on that generation of Panasonic players is still some of the best around. If you upgrade for the audio issues, fine. Otherwise, I'd save the money toward a widescreen TV or a 4:3 with a 16:9 mode.

M.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I agree with Michael.
The Panasonic A-110 is still a great player. If it hasn't given you trouble, IMHO you shouldn't upgrade yet. Both of my A-110's were handed down to my children and are still working fine. My Camelot "The Round Table" which also started as an A-110 that has been made into a boutique player with progressive component, RGB and upgraded audio outputs is doing a tremendous job too, and none of these players have the chroma bug that some new & current players still catch.;)
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks