Will I like original Dawn of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris Parham, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Chris Parham

Chris Parham Stunt Coordinator

I have never seen this film but am intrigued by the new divmax DVD and always like to see original versions of films before their re-makes.
    I can say that I have seen and enjoyed both versions of Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Usually, this would cause me to run out and rent it's sequal(?) without reservations. I am concerned however in reading various posts about this film linked to another director named Dario Argento.If my fears are correct, this is the person responsible for the film Suspiria.
    When released on DVD, I ran out and bought this title sight unseen based on the enormously positive reviews on this forum! As I recall, it was almost unanimously touted as THE "scariest film of all time". Sadly, I did not find this to be the case. To my thinking, this was easily the worst movie I have ever seen, actually beating out Kevin Costner's "The Postman"( I had hoped this feat was not possible).
    To the lovers of Suspiria,( everybody who posted about this film on this forum), I ask your forgiveness. Please do not flame me. I know that this film is a "masterpiece" because so many of you make it so. I am willing to admit that there must be something wrong with me for not seeing in this film what everbody else sees.
    I do however, want to know if Dawn of the Dead is close to Night of the living dead in it's storytelling and sharp underlying political commentary or is it in any way shape or form similiar to the incomprhensible mess that I alone perceive Suspiria to be.
    If it is the latter, then I would be gravely disapointed in having spent even the measley two bucks on this rental.

2. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Argento basically just put up money. he had little to no input on the screenplay or the direction, or much of anything creatively.

HOWEVER--in exchange for helping pay for the thing, he had editorial rights for certain overseas markets--and his cut of the movie IS floating around, and that deletes most of the humor and satire and social commentary that Romero's version is known for, and makes it a more straight ahead, visceral horror film.

The version Anchor Bay just released is Romero's theatrical cut. You should be safe, looking at what you enjoyed in "Night," there's plenty of that on display in Romero's "Dawn," plus a sort of comic-book energy that Night didn't have.

oh, and Argento was a hack.

3. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Dawn is more satirical. Worth a rent at the very least.

I have the laserdisc and am content with that so I will not be upgrading.

4. Chris Parham

Thanks for the quick reply. I will probably rent this tommorrow based on your post.
    Although it is unfair to label someone a hack based on one film, I feel safe in concurring with your assertion of Mr Argento given that this particular film is widely considered his crowning acheivment. Again, with my apologys to those that think him a deity of the genre.

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

DAWN OF THE DEAD isn't scary in the least, but it is an enjoyable flick.

I wouldn't judge Argento based on SUSPIRIA alone. Check out DEEP RED or TENEBRAE and then decide.

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

If you liked Night of the Living Dead and its remake, then you'd probably like Dawn of the Dead. I wasn't crazy about the original Night of the Living Dead, but like the remake and Dawn of the Dead. Not sure if I wanna see Dawn's remake though.

7. Glen C

Glen C Stunt Coordinator

the original was more sattire and talky (not as chatty as the dreadful Day) with horrible acting and unlikable characters.

neither sequel can come close to "night".

8. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

To be truthful, if yo are not a die hard zombie fan, I would not expect too much. This film is nowhere near the production event recent films you have probably seen are, i.e., "Lord of the Rings", etc. But.......back in 1978 it scared the bejesus out of a lot of people. The special effects in 1978's "Dawn of the Dead" appear a bit dated now, but the film still works for me. I happen to enjoy Romero's zombie trilogy more that any other movies in the genere. Why, mainly because Romero set a precedent for the modern "zombie" film. Most other modern zombie films either copy directly or pay some sort of homage to his ideas. I waited a long time for the DiviMax DVD version of this film from Anchor Bay, but enjoyed the film even when watching it on my 20 year old VHS copy. Check it out, just don't expect a CGI enhanced Peter Jacksonish experience.

9. Chris Parham

I have the divimax copy rented and will watch it tonight. I'd be happy with a low budget campy zombie flick to cheer me up tonight if my local hockey team disapoints on television. My fear was that it would turn out to be similar to the pseudo-arthouse piece of eurotrash that I perceive Suspiria to be.

Strangely enough, I had to visit a local Ballbuster to find this title. My usual video store, which speacializes in rare and offbeat titles did not get this new edition.

10. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Let us know how you like it.