What's new

Will I get burn in on a 27" WEGA? (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi. I've had the KV-27 FS13 WEGA for a little over a year, and I really like it. I've done my best to calibrate it correctly (thanks to posts on this forum and to AVIA). I've taken the concerns on burn-in to heart, and I understand that it can affect tube TV's in addition to RPTV's. But my "dilemma" is that I sometimes think my settings are too dark and I want to change them (not always, but on some movies like "The Godfather" it's just too dark). So, what are my optimum settings for this TV so I can have a great picture and minimize the burn-in risk? Also, if I want to "push it," what should my limits be? Here are my settings now:
Picture and Brightness: about 40%
Color and Tint: right in the middle
Sharpness: about 20-25%
VM: Off
"Picture mode": Movie
Thanks to anyone who can help!
EDIT: Woo-hoo! 100 posts! :)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I really wouldn't worry about burn in on a direct view.

A quick question:

When you calibrated with AVIA, did you let the TV warm up, and what was the light in the room like? If you calibrated in a darker room, then watching the TV with more ambient light would make your picture look darker.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well burn in is always a problemn, but turning up the brightness for a few movies? no thats not a concern. Burn in on direct views is something for the very careless (In my humble opinion)

That being said i would suggest you first try to darken your room more before you up the brightness.... the lower the brightness gets on my tv the more detail i see.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
On a direct view TV not showing static images, I really don't think you have to worry. My parents have had the same TV for probably 13 years now. It survived my weekend movie nights through high school, and believe me we never calibrated it! Last time I was back home a few months ago, there was no evidence of any burn in at all.

Even at my fraternity in college our torch-like direct view has been going strong for over 6 years (it was still there last I heard), despite the fact that we played insane amounts of playstation on it (with all the static health bars, menus, etc).

Clint B

Second Unit
Thanks, everyone. Maybe I'm getting too worried about it, but I probably need to recalibrate my TV. I've got a very small room (about 12 by 10 or so), and I usually watch in total darkness, but I might have had the lights on the last time I calibrated with AVIA. I should know better! That will certainly make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks