What's new

Will I blow my receiver if two pairs of speakers are connected to A and B inputs? (1 Viewer)

Ilia

Grip
My Nakamichi AV-10 has A and B front channels and I want to listen to my fronts and in-ceilings at the same time. One of the tech guys said I'd blow the receiver this way because I run two pairs in parallell so the receiver has to supply two times more power for the front. Now what I don't understand is why Nakamichi designed two channels with only option to run one at a time. I'm still trying to figure out whether the tech guy was correct or not. Any ideas?
P.S. I'd much prefer to listen to 4 front speakers but looks like Nakamichi does not have a feature to convert stereo to surround sound, or I'm wrong again?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Most likely not. Some recievers have those outputs in parallel, some in series. Regardless, unless you have very inefficient speakers that you are trying to drive quite loud, or have some low-impedance speakers, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You will be putting more demand on the reciever, and i have no idea of the capabilites of the nakamichi, so it's hard to say. The worst that would happen most likely, is it would go into protect mode.

It looks like it does have pro-logic so you should be able to use that, or one of the DSP modes if you really want. For music, though, 2 speakers is the way to go...

Ilia

Grip
Thanks, Chris. Just a few things to add:
Impedance of the speakers: 6ohms nominal, 4ohms minimum
Nak: Continuous Power Output Stereo: 120W x 2
(8 ohms, two channels driven, 20 - 20,000 Hz, 0.1% THD)
Surround: 100W x 5 (8 ohms, five channels driven, 20 - 20,000 Hz, 0.1% THD).
And you absolutely right: Natural and Prologic modes make sound artificial, but having 4 speakers working in the 2-ch mode is incredible.
The other concern I have in-ceiling Sonance speakers start clapping on the peaks, and I'm afraid I can damage them. I've just bought Adire Rava and will have my fronts set to "small" as well as turning off the loudness feature - hopefully that will fix it.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Ilia, I can tell you that I used to have a Yamaha 2092 receiver that had A and B speaker posts. I hooked them both up and ran them at the same time in a bi-wire situation, ie. A to tweeters/midranges and B to woofers. Worked great, sounded great, and never any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks