Will I benefit from a Video Processor?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Richards, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Jeff Richards

Jeff Richards Auditioning

I currently have a Denon 2900 for a DVD player and a Sony 53" RPTV with a native resolution of 1080I. Since the Denon and Sony only have component video inputs/outputs, would I benefit from using a Video Processor? I was considering a used DVDO VP30 from E-Bay, Videogon, etc.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Jeff - Instead of spending $900 on a dedicated video processor, have you considered upgrading to a Denon DVD-3910 (also costs $900 used), which features 1080i upscaling over component video? You could then auction off your DVD-2900 for $350, and finish off with a very solid and capable video solution for only $550.

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

On the other hand, you do get a lot more versatility with a processor. You can work with aspect ratios (non-anamorphic letterbox DVDs, anybody?) and bring in other sources.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I agree, the processor will do satellite/cable and video. However, VHS can't be fixed regardless but if you have a S-VHS player, then a processor actually helps with that. I have an early model I-Scan pro and it scales everything to 480p and I do see an improvement of the picture. S-Video fed from the source satellited and then into the I-Scan Pro then out to the component connection of the T.V.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The Denon 3910 does NOT upscale commerical DVDs over component.