Will HK AVR-120 be enough for my Klipsch speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Tubbiola, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

I'm putting together a small HT system for my bedroom. It doesn't need to go incredibly loud, I just want the surround experience.

My mains are Klipsch RB-5s, my center is a Klipsch KSC-C1, my rears are not bought yet (I'm using some old tiny Teac speakers right now). I will be using this for 50% music (so I need DPL2), 30% Playstation 2 gaming and 10% DVD/Satellite TV.

I'm looking to spend $300 or less for the receiver and I think I can get the Harman Kardon AVR-120 from vanns.com for that with a price match. Since my klipsch speakers are so efficient, will the 40 WPC be a good match?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Tom Tubbiola

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I would say : No Problem

3. Tom Tubbiola

Thanks Sean.

Anyone else???

Tom

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Hi Tom,

The RB 5's have a rated efficiency of 96 dB's. This means, I think, that your HK receiver will put out the same level of sound as a 160 watt/channel amplifier would with a speaker rated at an efficiency level of 90dB's. And, some speakers have rated efficiencies significantly less than 90dB's. Given that you are using them in your bedroom and don't plan on cranking up the sound, I don't think you'll have any problem. Let us know how you like the RB 5's.

5. Tom Tubbiola

I already love the RB-5s. I'm running them on my old Sony STR-AV1000 right now playing MP3s from my Mac.

I got them from Outpost.com as a closeout item for $499 (these are the 1st generation models).

Tom

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I run 86db NHT's off of an AVR110, 40 wpc by 5 and it is loud enough for my 2700 cf room. Ze Klipsch vill be fine!