What's new

Will having my TV ISF'd void my warranty (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
If I have a TV calibrated by an ISF profesional will it void my manufactures warranty ?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Generally no for a basic ISF calibration. It won't void the warranty, BUT!!!! it is usually best to keep the calibration information to yourself to avoid potential aggrivation when warranty work is required.

The manufacturers routinely send their own people to the ISF seminars for both training and to help sponsor/demo new products. They have also worked with the ISF to introduce "ISF" modes in the service menus of their TV's. So rest easy for the most part.

That said, most if not all of what a calibrator does can be reversed and the work is not invasive to the TV. Some things will modify certain aspects of the set like plexiglass removal. If you or a calibrator does this, and a few months down the line, you make a warranty claim on the front screen, expect the tech to potentially void the warranty on this portion of the TV (not the whole thing). A clear modification done by non-factory people.

The rule of thumb for most seeking calibration is to not mention it to the service people. It is one headache you don't need to give yourself. Warranty work costs the TV makers $$ ... and if you give them a way to try and get out of that cost ... they will take it. After many months of arguing on the phone, they will likely relent and do the warranty work ...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.