What's new

Will & Grace! (1 Viewer)

RafaelB

Second Unit
YAY! What great news!!!:D
I knew there was a reason to hold off on buying the R2s this weekend.
Thanks for the notification, Dave.
Rafael

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I was about to order them as well from R2...

Is it only me, or does it seem like everytime you get close to purchasing, or you have purchased the product, that FINALLY America gets the title as well?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
another happy camper will be buying Will & Grace R1.

where am I going to get the $$ to pay for all these DVDs?

Brent_H

Second Unit
this is GREAT news!! I quit watching Will & Grace because I have higher priotity shows and I run out of time. Now that its going to be on DVD, all the more reason to quit conforming my time to TV schedules and wait for DVD!!!!

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I've known about the R2 release by looking at ebay from time to time. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about this yet, and I work on the show! Nevertheless, I'm going to try to get a few copies signed by the cast members and then perhaps we'll have a contest for HTF.

Brent_H

Second Unit
David T:

What is it that you do on the show??? That would be really cool if you could get a coupe copies signed for a contest!!!

~Brent

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm extremely excited about this news, though I find the Lions Gate angle and odd one. I would have thought that WB would distribute.

I can't wait to hear a date, features, and price. I'll be preordering W&G.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Actually...interesting that this information broke yesterday. That was the date that the R2 boxed set was supposed to come out.

Guess what?

Cancelled.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Friends shoots at Warner Bros., hence the WB distribution for that dvd. Will & Grace is produced by NBC Productions so they do not necessarily have to pursue WB for the DVD. Hope that sheds some light John.

Brent, I am the First Assistant Cameraman on "A" Camera for the show. I've been involved since the pilot.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David: you should have the IMDB update your listing! :D
I must say, you do all right work! Or, I assume you do, since the camerawork on that show is excellent. What exactly does a "1st Asst. Cameraman" do, anyway?
Loved the Kevin Bacon episode...which aired just before Footloose was released on DVD. With your "inside knowledge", maybe you know...was that planned? :wink:

James Reader

Screenwriter
Actually...interesting that this information broke yesterday. That was the date that the R2 boxed set was supposed to come out.
Guess what?
Cancelled.
It's not cancelled, just delayed. Expect to see it in February 2003, when series 2 of 'Will and Grace' begins its UK release. (One of those wonderful 'Marketing' ideas I expect)
In the meantime this may tide you order - all 3 DVDs for £30
from Blackstar. (Keep filling up the basket the price will change when all three are in)
Blackstar's (R2) Will and Grace Promo

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
David,
The Kevin Bacon episode was the first one we shot for the new season 5. There wasn't any talk of the Footloose DVD release at the time, to my knowledge. I think it's pure coincidence.
As a camera assistant, I am completely responsible for the "A" Panavision camera. We shoot on film, so I thread the camera, check the gate after every scene, pull focus and zoom on every shot, etc. To really go into detail on all of my responsibilities would be way too long and boring to print here :D I am only one out of 4 camera assistants on the show.
PS: What is the IMDB? :b

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
As a camera man on the show, is it possible for you to shed some light on it's AR for me? I get it on my NBC affilliate's HD feed, but it's still broadcast 4:3, and I'm wondering how it's shot, and what's PROPER. Although I'd love to see it come out in 16x9 on DVD, I'm thinking that this isn't a foregone conclusion.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
John,

I would be shocked if it was released in 16 x 9. I can't tell you how many times we were shooting, composing for 4:3 and we'd be off the set in 1.78:1. Our director is the best in the business, and although we try to compose for 1.78:1,
4:3 is his main concern. Having said that, there is a combo groundglass in the eyepiece of the Panaflex with markings for both AR's. Don't expect the widescreen AR for the DVD release. -DT

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like that indicates that the intended AR is 4x3.
That's fine with me. If it's shot on film, an eventual 4x3 HD transfer (on HD-DVD) would look great.
Hey David, if they ever have a "bring an unknown fan from HTF to work" day, feel free to invite me along! :D
-dave

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm perfectly happy to get it in 4x3 if it's intended to be that way. As new as I am to the world of HD, I was just surprised to see that NBC is still running their sitcoms in 4x3 when CBS is running virtually everything in 16x9.

I'm not dissapointed per say, but I'd certainly prefer to watch W&G in 16x9 HD than say Touched By An Angel.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If something *is* supposed to be 16x9, I would rather have *more* info to the left/right rather than *less* info on the top/bottom. If the film stock captures the whole 4x3 image and that's what's shown on 4x3 TV, then I'd rather keep it that way in HD.

Are most widescreen HD TV sitcoms actually cropped from their 4x3 "NTSC" versions?

-dave

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
PS: What is the IMDB? :b
The Internet Movie DataBase, a site devoted to recroding the details of every film/tv show/feature, every credit behind the feature, and all sorts of trivia about the features. There is also a "Pro" version, which is NOT free, that has extended info like agent names, etc., that is intended for "professional" industry use.
The link above is to your entry! :eek:
(I assume that's you, anyway)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks