What's new

Will & Grace Season 5 - Major Cuts (1 Viewer)

mickeyTOR

Agent
I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the Will & Grace Season 5 Set. They've cut all the 40 minutes episodes down to syndication size. Why would they do that???

When I got the set yesterday I popped in the last disc, hoping to hear my favorite Karen-ism - the one where she's upset about being stranded with Rosario abourd a Russion cargo vessel until she finds out that it's en route to Cuba with a full shipment of vodka. "Rosario - swim back to the yacht and get some olives. We might be here awhile!"

A great line (along with perhaps countless others) - gone until some genius decides to finally release the uncut episodes in future years. Complet-ists out there -- you might want to avoid this one. :frowning:

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
That is a real shame, if you have multi region playback then I suggest you get the Region 2 Season 5, it is uncut as far as I can tell - it might be a bit pricy though, we are taxed and bled dry on everything here!

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
Will and Grace is released by Lion's Gate, right? Have they EVER released a set that is not the syndication versions? They really seem to be the worst offender of releasing edited sets.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
By this stage of the game, if you buying Will & Grace on DVD from Lion's Gate, you know the episodes are cut if you read any online sites at all.

Paul

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Season four is the only one I can think of that wasn't made up of syndicated cuts at all.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, everyone should buy from the UK, faster nicer looking sets, with no edits. A bit more money doesn't really matter if it's for something as good as Will and Grace.
-James

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure the UK sets are uncut? I remember reading somewhere that they were. Is there a scene by scene comparison someone has done?

I'd be willing to pay the extra $$ as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Actually, Paul...I am ignorant about this. My family has just started collecting/watching the Will & Grace season sets.

In fact, we are thinking of heading to Best Buy this week to get caught up with their terrific sale on Seasons 1 thru 4 for just $15.99 apiece.

If it's not too much trouble, how bad a situation are we talking about here? :frowning:

EDIT** And why were there a number of 40 minute episodes on Season 5 anyway?

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

Season one wasn't cut, but seasons two and three were... then four was released and apparently that was uncut, but it didn't get much press for being so at the time. It is still a good buy for $16 a season.

Paul

mickeyTOR

Agent
The 40 minute episodes were a gimmick that NBC was doing with Will & Grace and Friends for a few years during their sweeps weeks to compete with Survivor over at CBS that was at the time kind of wiping out the Must-See-TV Franchise that NBC had on Thursday nights for almost 20 years. Essentially what it boiled down to was 4 extra minutes of show and 6 more minutes of commercials.

Again - as the original poster here - I'm baffled as to why they would cut these down. I could understand if this was a 40 year old show where the original prints were rotting away in a cannister somewhere and they didn't want to spend the money on restoration - but that is hardly the case here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks