What's new

Will "Gates of Fire" ever see production? (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
“In 480 B.C., an invading Persian army, two-million strong, came to the mountain pass of Thermopylae (Gates of Fire) in eastern Greece. Led by King Xerxes, they were met by the finest three hundred Spartan warriors ….Here, the Greek loyalists hoped, the elite force could hold off, at least for a short while, the invading millions”

Have any at HTF with a close ear to industry news, heard discussion about any possibility of production starting on this film?? I check every 6 months since first reading “Gates of Fire” just did a google and am still running into same old news, very outdated.
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/036/036023p1.html

Did they give up on this project due to blowing budget/genre allowances on other ‘epic’ period pieces like “Troy”?

I would much rather have seen a good attempt at Pressfields novel coming to screen. Any one heard anything?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not yet. I did hear that the Dawn of the Dead (remake)helmer is in pre-production on "300", the Graphic Novel by Frank Miller on Thermopylae. It's no Gates of Fire, but it's the same story. I've had my ear to the ground as well, since this is my favorite book. Part of me almost doesn't want it to happen.

As far as I know, Michael Mann has been the only name attached.

The minute I hear anything, you can bet I'll post it.

Take care,
Chuck

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I don't know about this particular project, but just be aware that Hollywood buys the rights to a great deal of stories, novels, and even entire screenplays that never make it to production. Purchasing the rights is just the first step on a tall ladder to getting the greenlight.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
that never make it to production understood. But that old link (I keep running into when I google periodicaly) at one time seemed very promising, way back when.

Part of me almost doesn't want it to happen. I know exactly what you mean.

Thanks guys hoping an insider or in-edger? :) had heard something this topic!

PatH

Second Unit
For what it's worth I read sometime back that George Clooney was considering the project. Not sure I'm happy about that, though.

PatH

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Here are two websites, but with precious little news:

Steven Pressfield's site

and Talk GOF website

I had heard the Clooney news, but it's a bit old (and he's not right anyway). With the middling success of Troy and eventual middling failure of Alexander (assuming my prediction is right), I doubt this film is going to be a release anytime soon. But Hollywood always finds good material, so eventually it'll be unearthed. Gladiator was no doubt a big reason it was talked about, but that ship has sailed (for now).

Still, any real news would be seen at these sites, I believe.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks