Will FOX EVER AGAIN RELEASE NEW CATALOG TITLES?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken Koc, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

It seem to be very quiet at FOX these regarding CLASSIC catalog titles on DVD. One measly "classic" a month and thats it. No comedy classics, or film noir, or biblical epics ( which with the release of "Passion of the Christ" would have been a great marketing tie in with titles like "Story of Ruth", The Egyptian", David and Bathsheba" etc", but no...nothing.
    After the FOX chat some months ago, things seemed promising but the lack of releases since then is very troubling. The fact that there were concerns that a camp classic like "Valley of the Dolls" would not sell was disturbing. "Valley of the Dolls" has been released by Fox virtually everywhere else in the world on DVD, why not the US? So has "Leave Her to Heaven".
    What is FOX waiting for? I'm losing hope!

2. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

I agree with you, what is UP AT FOX AND UNIVERSAL.
    They are very slow, in releasing catalog !!!!!!!!!!

3. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Fox seems to be doing fine in my book. I believe I've got five of their titles pre-ordered for 9/7.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I just got a big box of Fox screeners filled with older titles and not many new ones. Guess it depends on your definition of "classic catalog titles" - King Kong Lives is a catalog title but ain't no classic - but they're definitely shoveling out the oldies...

5. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    It's just so damn rotten that every movie isn't released right now and why aren't they all given two disc special editions anyway! yeah!

Fox puts out what are some of the consistently best classic and modern DVD releases that have a lot of thought and care put into them.

But since we need absolutely everything now I suppose they should cater to your needs and just dump all their old pan and scan video masters onto DVD next quarter and release everything, I suppose that'd be better than their current apprach of excellent transfers and very good sound (if not always Original sound format friendly as Joe Caps will never let us forget, thankfully) and wonderful extras as well. After all quantity is immensely more important than actual quality in DVD releases.

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Yikes, being too harsh on Ken guys. But Fox recently finished a film restoration of The Egyptian - then did nothing with it.
    Last years, besides studio classics, Fox would release other beautifully restored oldies, like Journey to the Center fo the Earth, Long Hot Summer, From the Terrace.
    This year we had the Cary Grant batch at the beginning of the year, Call Me Madam, Prince Valiant but not much else.
    fox Movie channel has shown restored prints of Story of Ruth and Soldier of Fortune with susan Hayward.
    Sue was one of foxs biggest stars but hardly anything of her fox movies has shown up on discl
    Where is Soldier of Fortune, Garden of evil, Untamed, With a Song in My Heart, David and Bathsheba?

7. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

jeesh, Adam...

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

My biggest question for Fox is where the hell is the announced, then long-delayed, Laura?

9. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

THE BOSTON STRANGLER (Letterboxed for the first time) and THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE (Lbx) are coming out on 9/7. Perhaps the Christmas season will bring out some more classics!

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

just a couple weeks ago i was thinking the same thing- what has Fox been doing this year?
    the last catalog title they released (besides the monthly SCs) that i was remotely interested in was High Wind In jamaica- and that was a few months back.
    seems like they dropped of the radar.

i don't really see much in their future announcements that trips my trigger either (although i will probably pick up Alligator People).

still waiting on Laura, A Letter To Three Wives, Forever Amber, Leave Her to Heaven and the inconceivably long MIA Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.

11. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

What?

Zorba the Greek
    The 300 Spartans
    What Price Glory
    The Hunters
    The Enemy Below
    Crash Dive
    Morituri
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
    Peyton Place
    The Diary of Anne Frank
    Planet of the Apes SE
    My Darling Clementine
    The Snake Pit
    The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
    Desk Set

There are others, and that doesn't include upcoming titles. Most of these retailed for $14.98.

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

My first guess was going to be that all of their presses were being used to make SW copies, but they are probably done with that now.

It would be ok with me if they came out with everything next month and the quality was poor. Then theyy could count up the complaints to find out what movies should be restored.

Glenn

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Randy, I stand corrected, but I was talking of titles NOT part of Studio classics and at least five of your titles are part of that series.

14. Randy A Salas

Sorry, Joe, I missed that exception in your post. Actually, at least 8 of the ones I listed are Studio Classics.
    :b

15. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

not only that, but how many of those films were released pre June?
    and there just doesn't seem to be any real compelling titles that have been announced for the next few months.

Seems like Fox and Universal might have switched places now.
    i can remember when there was hardly anything to look forward to as far as catalog stuff from them, now they are kicking it out pretty consistently (Noirs, Monsters, great 'little' titles, TV sets).

Fox isn't up for sale is it? [​IMG]

16. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Actually if it was, that would be the best news I've heard in a long time. The New York Daily News and other outlets reported last year that sources within Fox cited Wendi Deng, the wife of owner/chairman Rupert Murdoch, as the reason Fox pulled all the Charlie Chan/Mr. Moto movies from circulation. If true, that may be why Mr. Staddon said that the films were staying "in the vault" at the last chat despite earlier rumors that the studio had already been prepping certain of the series films for release.

As for Fox's performance on classic catalog titles in general, I've also noticed that this has been a less than stellar year for them in terms of quantity. Then again, Warners (and Universal to a lesser extent) have raised the bar so high that it almost makes it difficult for anyone else to compete at the same level.

Quality is not the problem; I've been very pleased with the Fox DVDs I have.

Steve

17. Randy A Salas

I think the key here is "classic catalog titles." As Colin implied, Fox has continued to send its monthly box filled with screeners, just as always. The difference now is that they run the gamut of genres. There are TV releases, family DVDs (like crazy--Strawberry Shortcake, anyone?), Spanish-language titles, direct-to-video releases and others. These are all filling Fox's release schedule, and there's only so much the studio apparently will release at a time.

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I have a question:

Would you rather have them now and have them looking like crap (the original Cheaper By the Dozen) or allow some time for them to be restored if necessary and wait for a good dvd?

19. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

You exaggerate Matthew. Though far from pristine looking, the 1950 Cheaper By The Dozen is a decent if average transfer though I suppose we've been spoiled by immaculate transfers like Singin' In The Rain, Casablanca, Adventures Of Robin Hood, Mildred Pierce, Sunset Boulevard etc. so that a decent transfer not matching up must now look like "crap".

20. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Ah, don't lose hope Ken. I think they'll get around to releasing most of the kind of stuff you want. They've got a huge catalog to choose from and it takes time to produce a quality DVD.

I think they're doing a fine job to this point. There are several films I would like to see them release soon. Films like "Warlock"(1957), "Kiss Of Death", "Call Northside 777", "No Highway In The Sky", "Jesse James", "Return of Frank James" and many others. But overall I'd say they're doing a good job.