What's new

Will Fall of the Roman Empire or Circus World ever be released on DVD? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
There was talk of releasing these titles on DVD about a year ago but, I haven't heard anything since.

SteveP

Second Unit
Supposedly restoration work was being done on ROMAN EMPIRE.

Would love to have this in its proper Ultra Panavision aspect ratio with the original directional dialogue soundtrack!

Ken New

Agent
Yes, Miramax was said to be restoring these more than 18 months ago but I have been unable to find out anything since. The work was supposed to have been carried out on 'Empire' and 'Circus World' as well as 'El Cid' and '55 Days at Peking'.

I started a similar thread to this some months ago when a very helpful HTF member told me about some Region 2 releases of these movies. Some have forced subtitles. However, the German releases do not, so I took the plunge and ordered all of the above from Amazon.de (except 'Circus World' although that's available too).

On each of them you can select the original English dialogue. The only extras are star biographies and trailers although these are all in German. They are in 2.25:1 widescreen (which I know doesn't exactly match the original Panavision 70 ratio) and in Dolby - BUT, the packaging says, in mono. Yet 'Empire' sounds like stereo to me.

Purists may want to wait for the Miramax releases but I'm well satisfied and they are all certainly streets ahead of the pan and scan VHS and DVD efforts that have limped onto the market before now (well, in the UK anyway).

Of course, it depends if you can play Region 2. But I think you should try maybe one and see.

SteveP

Second Unit
The last Dolby Digital letterboxed laser disc of ROMAN EMPIRE was from a 2.35:1 35MM element. Ultra Panavision is wider than this.

The Dolby Digital audio had stereo music, but the dialogue was NOT directionalized.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the French DVDs of "Fall of the Roman Empire" and "El Cid" both of which are anamorphic widescreen and stereo, although like the German versions the packaging states mono. Quality is very good but what I want are restored roadshow versions with Overture, Intermission etc. These four Samuel Bronston epics are top of my "wants" list, so Miramax...PLEASE GET A MOVE ON AND RELEASE THEM!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
All of these Samuel Bronston epics were released this month in Japan on DVD. Hopefully R1 won't be far behind.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the news folk, just might be tempted to get either the French or German.

Which would be the better until r1 comes out ?

cheers

:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Remember how long it took for the Three Colors Trilogy (the other famous M.I.A. Miramax title) to come to DVD in R1...I think these will be on DVD within 1-2 years.

And who knows, maybe Miramax doesn't even have the rights anymore...

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Which would be the better until r1 comes out ?
I would go with the German releases as these don't have forced subtitles.
I have the French releases myself and they're nice but like Douglas I can't wait until these will be released in their full roadshow glory.

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
If you're looking for NTSC releases, these came out in Japan in February.
Haven't seen them yet but they are listed as "Digital Remaster" and 4.0 Dolby Digital.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just received this email from Miramax after asking about these titles. Perhaps others should keep pestering them as well, so that Miramax know we want them!

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding CIRCUS WORLD,EL CID,THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE and 55 DAYS AT PEKING. We appreciate your interest.

These titles are Miramax titles.

We do not have any information regarding an expected release for these titles. We will let our Marketing Department know of your interest".

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I JUST SAW ALL OF THESE DVDS IN GREECE, WITH GREAT PACKAGING POSTERS FROM THE FILMS ON THE COVERS AND ALL REGIONS !!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks