Will electrical wires interfere w/speaker wires?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timmy_N, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Timmy_N

Timmy_N Auditioning

Hi..in process of pulling speaker wires for HT in basement. Walls are open and contractor just did the pull for all the electrical outlets. Can I pull my speaker wires through the same holes in the stubs or must I drill new ones because of potential electrical interference?
    Thanks for help.
    Timmy_N

2. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

I believe you will want to be at least six inches away from the electrical wires and if you have to cross any make sure you cross at 90 degrees.
    Good luck.
    Paul.

3. andyg

andyg Agent

Most likely it will, if both sets of wires are in close proximity and are unshielded. In my case I installed metal cladded AC cable and ran all AC down one side of the room and all low voltage/speaker wire down the other side of the room. There is nothing better than isolation. If you really want to go all out you can install shielded speaker wire. While doping my wiring where AC and low voltage were in close proximity to each other, I tried to have a minimum distance of 16 inches between the two type of wire or one stud bay.
    ---Andy Garabedian

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Never, EVER pull speaker wire alongside electrical wire. It's a serious code violation and if you have a fire you may have serious insurance issues. Paul is correct. If they MUST cross it is done at a 90 degree angle.