What's new

Will el-cheapo PS3 componet cables work as well as the 70 dollar Monster cables? (1 Viewer)

London Lawson

Second Unit
I bought the cables from CC since they were my only option at the time, but I have seen sets of these going for as low as 10 bucks, and I have even heard PS2 cables will work. But I was also told that the cheaper cables have horrible quality.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Have you tried the ones you bought? Are you happy with them, or are you waiting to use them until you get other opinions?

Whatever you do, don't get Monster cables. They may be good cables, but they are really overpriced. MonoPrice.com sells good, inexpensive cables.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Whoops, never mind. I wasn't thinking straight and was thinking of a standard component cable.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too picked up a cheapo Gameshark $15 "universal" component video cable (has a dongle for XBox and PS2 original and slimline) and sure enough, it works for PS3! As far as whether they work as well as Monster cables, it depends on your beliefs as to whether premium cables work better than non-premium cables (and I think we have a subforum devoted to that kind of discussion ;) ).

For me, let's just say that although I'm an HT junkie, I don't own any cables in my system that would be considered premium, and yes, I have done my own testing on component cables with my Panny RP91 DVD player and the AVIA and VE test discs. I returned the premium Monster component cables right after I could not see any difference in any of the test patterns.

London Lawson

Second Unit
Why would there even be a debate between cheap vs premium? Have there not been numerous tests performed over the years?

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Heh.

Anyone else remember the monster-sized screaming matches we used to have about cable quality?

PS -- I'm from the camp that believes that cable quality has no bearing on signal quality unless your cheap cables produce an intermittent connection. Contact bounce is evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks