Will DVD recorders record in 16:9 aspect?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brico F, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Brico F

Brico F Auditioning

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I am looking at buying a Panasonic DMR-ES40V DVD/VHS Recorder. I downloaded the User Manual and found that it will not record 16:9 aspect ratio on DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R, but only on DVD-RAM.

Is this common for all DVD recorders? This certianly seems to limit the media I can use. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better unit or is this a common thing on all DVD recorders?

Thanks for the help, I have alot to learn but this looks like a great forum to do that.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have a Pioneer DVR-531H-S, a combo dvr and dvd recorder. It combines a hard driver recorder and dvd recorder. I have been able to download widescreen HD programming from my HD-Tivo via S-video (so it's reaching the Pioneer as 480p) to it's hard drive, edit it on the hard drive to remover commercials or whatever, then record it onto dvd as an anamorphic 16/9 image with DVD-R and DVD-RW media. Plays back on any dvd player to a 16/9 tv just like any other anamorphic dvd. I use the highest recording quality option on the DVR and one of the higher quality recording options on the dvd recorder--results are very good, similar to a commercially produced dvd.

Mine is the cheapest model in that particular series from Pioneer, cost about $270 at WalMart of all places.

3. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

The Sony's also can record in 16:9 and also set the anamorphic flag.

jdg