Will DVD-A/SACD play in DD 5.1 on a regular DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Cross, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Steve Cross

Steve Cross Agent

The reason I ask, is because im thinking of buying a low end sony SACD DVD player that does'nt have BM, so until I can afford an ICBM, I'd like to here 5.1 titles.

BTW my mains are n38s but the rears and center are nsp1s (ncenter and n24s) not exactly full range with out my sub.

tyia
    Steve

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

DVDA's will play on a regular DVD player in DD 5.1.

SACD's will not play on a DVD player unless its a hybrid with a cd layer.

3. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

SACD's will play on a Sony SACD/DVD player but there is no DD5.1 layer on any SACD.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steve, basically, DVD-Audio is backwards compatible with the DVD-Video format, meaning that the vast majority of DVD-Audio discs have a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. However, SACD is backwards compatible with the CD format, so some SACDs have a CD track, but no SACDs have a Dolby Digital track.

I would not choose a high-resolution format solely on backwards compatibility. While I understand your concerns over the lack of proper bass management on SACD and DVD-Audio players, do consider which format offers music that you enjoy. Finally, do not assume that you will not enjoy multi-channel SACD or DVD-Audio without complete bass management. I have SACD and DVD-Audio players with incomplete bass management, and I use them with speakers that are not full-range, and I do not use an ICBM. I still greatly prefer multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio over Dolby Digital. Dolby Digital can't hold a candle to SACD and DVD-Audio. DTS comes closer to the resolution of SACD and DVD-Audio, but I still would take SACD and DVD-Audio with incomplete bass management over DTS with bass management. Just my opinion.