1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Will DVD-A or SACD ever go 6.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Adlhoch, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

can i engage the matrix function of my yamaha rx-V3000 when receiving my signal from the 5.1 analalogue inputs?
    would i ever WANT the surround back channel?

2. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

No... there is no way that you can engage any of the DSP programs using the analog 5.1 inputs and that includes the matrix function.

3. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

DTS music cds have gone 6.1.Sheryl Crow is one of them.

4. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

robert, as far as I know , with DTS cd's i can use my digital connection and therefore still use all the matrix/DSP functions
    I am asking if SACD or DVD-A will ever go to 6.1 therefore needing 6.1 analoge channel inputs

5. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I don't which way the format will go, but my Denon 3801 already has 7.1 inputs. In fact I would be surprised if any 6.1/7.1 receiver/prepro with pre-ins didn't have one for each channel.
    Of course, I'm somewhat frustrated by the fact that today those two rear-center inputs are empty. I've been wondering if I got get some kind of box (maybe a cheap receiver) to prologic the rear left and right out of the DVDA player to generate a THX-EX like mix for the rear center.
    With my spearkers situated in a 6.1 fasion, I'm afraid thaere's a bit of a gap in the sound field directly behind me.
    Anyone doing anything like this? If so what are you using? Short of receiver is there any kind of simple box available that will do Prologic with pre-ins and pre-outs?
    -Alan

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Alan- There are many other threads on HTF regarding "pseudo," "homebrew," and "DIY" THX EX/DTS-ES set ups.
    You're are correct in that a Dolby Pro Logic Receiver can be used for this purpose. Also, any older Dolby Pro Logic Processor can be used as well. (Sony, Yamaha, Shure, and Pioneer among many others.)
    There are also current units out there from Smart Cinema Systems (or something), ADA, and Parasound.
    I use a Shure HTS-5300, and I think that the extra channel in the back is indepensible. Fills in the "gap" in the back quite nicely. I myself couldn't go back to 5.1 after living with a 6.1 set up for the past few months.
    I personally also wonder if DVD-A and SACD will go 6.1. The way my current set is, I could extra that rear center channel anyway, but I am waiting to see if DVD-A and SACD go "anywhere" first. Not enough compelling software out there yet to warrant a player purchase yet, IMO.
    ------------------