Will dual banana plugs hurt my Norh 4.0?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Hoover, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but earlier today I picked up some gold-plated dual bananas from the Rat Shack (#278-308A) and wired 'em up. The fit into my ceramic 4.0 is extremely tight - as the binding posts are just a smidgen too close together. With some elbow grease, I was able to insert the dual bananas. I just want to make sure I won't crack the ceramic or anything.
    P.S. No snide comments! I know all about the innuendo herein [​IMG]

2. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've had simmilar expierence with the monster dual plug, on something (don't recall what now) I plugged it into the tight was tough, and I had to push hard to get it in. However I the speakers didn't seem to have any issues. I do know that the moster dual banannas once you get it in, it seems to relax a bit and not feel like it's pushing so close together.

Brian

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The fit is indeed tight but I do not believe it will cause any short or long term damage. Sit back and enjoy 'em!

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Brian and Bryan, thank you very much.

The speakers are breaking in VERY nicely - you'd better believe I'm enjoying them!

P.S. In a related story, Mr. Barnes has been difficult to get a straight answer from. I sent him an e-mail detailing the problem, asking him if the 4.0s were designed for dual bananas, and inquiring if their use might damage the speaker. His reply was a somewhat cryptic "Many times the spacer can be removed from between the plugs." Quite Confucian!

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Radio Shack also sells single plugs of similar quality (xxx-306) if you are worried about the stress causing problems. I use these for behind the receiver where the dual plugs would stick out too far.