What's new

will Dirty Duck be on DVD anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I was just thinking about this movie and was wondering if it was or will be? Oops, now this made me think of another question to post!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I've seen it at Suncoast. It's a cheap disc, on the "under $10" rack, so I wouldn't count on a top-notch presentation, but at least it's available.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
That's what I'm here for!
I'd never even heard of this movie until I stumbled across it while browsing the cheap DVDs at the aforementioned-Suncoast (I'm on a college student budget :) ). It looked… interesting. Is it any good?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I've only seen it once but I believe it is a 1977 cartoon that has something to do with Frank Zappa. It was very weird/bizzare and is something to experience.

I hate to say this, but also something to watch under the influence however, I have not done so.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
A friend and I ran across Dirty Duck on Cinemax one night about 7 years ago, at a time when we just happened to be "under the influence". At the time, we thought it was absolutely hilarious and we went around quoting the movie for weeks with everyone looking at us like idiots. We then rented the VHS of it with the Blockbuster card of a former roommate who stiffed us for a bunch of money... and then not long after, someone stole it!

About two months ago, my brother comes to town and gives me Dirty Duck on DVD. Oddly enough, it still makes me laugh, and I put it right up there with Fritz The Cat on my wierd-shit-o-meter. It's also pretty funny that such a dirty cartoon was created by some of the guys who now do RUGRATS. The quality of the DVD is only slightly better than the VHS, but I think this is mostly because of the original source material. For as cheap as the disc is (my brother got it for $5), it's worth it just to say you've seen it.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Jeremy,

It's been so long that I forgot, but what is the connection with Frank Zappa and this movie?

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Mothers Flo and Eddie (Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman) are credited with the music for this title, as well as being cast members. I though I'd seen somewhere they had writing credit too, but I'm not sure. The big man himself had nothing to do with Dirty Duck.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Brad, I have seen this at my local video store chain for $9.99. I'm not sure if it was released theatrically or not, but I'm pretty sure the box says it's 1.33:1. I had never heard of this film until I saw it for sale, and I have considered picking it up, but haven't yet.

Dale Dobson

Auditioning
It's a REALLY cheap DVD transfer, mastered from an old analog videotape in pan-and-scan with muddy sound. It's complete with tape glitches, smeary detail and lousy color.
But I don't imagine Dirty Duck will get a better release anytime soon. It looks nowhere near as good as MGM's upcoming Fritz the Cat DVD, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks