1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Will Dig Sat Rcvr make difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lisa, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Lisa

Lisa Extra

I presently do not own a Digital A/V receiver. I can't afford the ones I really want for at least a year or so. Would it be worth it to get a Digital Satellite receiver in the meantime? Will I notice a difference in the sound quality?
    Thanks
    Lisa

2. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

If it's anything like digital cable TV, then yes, you'll get an improvement with sound and video. I upgraded to digital cable tv a few months ago, and the sound and picture were better on the digital channels. But, my local channels weren't digital, so I didn't notice an improvement there. Not sure how the satellite deals with your local channels.
    On thing I've noticed though, the digital channels can't hold a candle to DVD's video. Apparently they send through the lowest bitstream they can get away with in order to squeeze in the numerous music only channels I also get... but this is mostly likely just my cable provider (Comcast). Again, not sure what the deal is with satellite.
    Mike D.

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Lisa, basic (digital) satellite receivers only output left and right analog audio which can be connected and played back through your TV's speakers.
    A more expensive satellite receiver that can also output a digital audio signal needs to be connected to a Dolby Digital receiver which will decode that signal for playback. If you don't have a receiver and you're planning on connecting directly to your TV, you'd have to do so with the analog cables only.
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------

4. Lisa

Lisa Extra

Thanks Mark
    Thanks Vin
    I do have an a/v receiver at the present time with surround sound speakers. It's a rather old Onkyo set up that I received in 1995 (not dolby digital). So will the dolby digital satellite receiver (SAT-A55) make a difference in the playback through my surround system??

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

Lisa -- FWIW, I have had a Hughes Dolby Digital receiver(model HIRD-D45)for two years and have gotten very little use out of it. Just about the only programming in DD is on HBO, Showtime, etc. If you have a DVD player and a DD receiver, I can almost guarantee you won't want to watch movies on premium channels when you can watch them on DVD, which has way better sound. Direct TV used to have a Dolby demo channel(I believe it was channel 900) that had a smoking DD demo, but they stopped that about a year ago. I would save the $200 bucks or so and sink it in to your other equipment.