Will DD-EX play back on ANY 6.1 Discrete Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Y, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I have a STR-DE1075 with "6.1". I'm not currently making use of my rear center output, and turned it off from the receiver's menu, for the time being.
    The receiver's documentation says that DTS-ES material will be matrixed from the L/R surrounds when the center rear is turned "off". And in fact, DTS-ES material does indicate the processing of a "phantom" rear surround on the display.
    I have a feeling it may be matrixing the DTS discrete channel.
    My question is: will Dolby-Digital-EX (DD-EX) play on this receiver? There's no mention of this format on the receiver or in the documentation. The "auto-discover" mode does not show a "phantom" rear in the display when I play a DD-EX soundtrack (such as Terminator 2); I've forced the "6.1" mode manually but I cannot tell if the information is getting matrixed into a phantom rear, or whether the 6.1 mode is primarily for channeling and/or matrixing discrete content.
    Phew!
    So: is DD-EX a purely "5.1" phenomenon? That is, can any 5.1 receiver decode it? The model below mine (STR-DE975) indicates matrixed modes (DD-EX??), so I would imagine my model would have backward compatibility for DD-EX as WELL as DTS-ES (matrixed/discrete).
    Also, can anyone think of any soundtrack (chapter:time) that makes blatant use of matrixed DD-EX material?
    Help is much appreciated! Sorry, I'm still new at all this.
    ~Steve Young

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    With all 5.1 with no EX channel in place will produce a Phantom EX channel. Its simply the mono inphase material being played by both surround channels will create this phantom effect. I think what your receiver is doing to the DTS ES is taking the discrete ES 6.1 and throwing it back into the 5.1 surrounds. It to me sounds kind of odd as I think all discrete ES discs also has the Matrixed ES recorded in the 5.1.
    Play the Monsters Inc trailer from the Toy Story DVD on DD 5.1 and you should here the phantom EX dog growl at the end of the trailer. If you had an EX speaker set up it will place the growl in the EX channel. What are you doing with out the EX speaker set up any way?!?!?! Isn't it like having an icecream cone with out the icecream?
    Wes
    [Edited last by Wes on August 28, 2001 at 07:53 PM]

3. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I've been curious about discrete, the problem is I have a very small room (barely large enough for a futon, desk, and shelf) and I already have too many wires wrapped all around the room. I also don't have an extra speaker or wire to hook it up yet (but hope to try at some point). I've actually overpowered my small space a bit, if you ask me. even my measly 120W sub shakes the room at half-power.
    Home Theater in a closet, anyone?
    So DD-EX uses in-phase material to generate the "center" soundfield (much like 2-channel music)? I was under the impression that all matrixed material (DD/DTS) uses out-of-phase positioning to get the phantom rear center effect.
    I will try out the Monsters,Inc. trailer and see how my 5.1 speakers system fares with my 6.1 processor. Ideally I'd like to be covered for all forms of matrix, discrete, etc. My worry at this point is that my processor can ONLY handle discrete mixes, and not matrixed mixes. Not enough people seem to have this receiver (the maligned STR-DE1075) to know for sure.
    I had heard from various threads on the HTF that matrixed rear center sounds "better" (read: not quite so severely positioned) than discrete (and is more economical to boot), so I hope to compare for myself. Then again, I shelled for discrete so I may be looking to justify the extra money I spent!
    ~Steve
    [Edited last by Steve Y on August 29, 2001 at 04:00 PM]