What's new

Will "Dallas" Ever See DVD Glory? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I can remember impatiently waiting for each new episode of "Dallas" on CBS each Friday (or Sunday).
Wonder if a DVD set(s) might be coming in the future.
Lots of shows to cover here....13 years worth (1978-1991).
What a collection that'd make!
All that vile contempt between J.R. and Sue Ellen simply MUST be seen digitally! :emoji_thumbsup:
Who else here at HTF would refuse to miss an episode? (Esp. Who Shot J.R., November 1980!)
>> "DAMMIT, MISS ELLIE, WHAT ARE THOSE TWO BOYS FIGHTIN' ABOUT NOW!!!???" -- Jock Ewing

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Adam.....

No, no.

JR "got his" in March 1980!

The famous "Who Shot JR?" episode was delayed, if you'll recall, by 2 months due to a writers' strike in Hollywood.....So it wasn't aired until November 21, 1980.

(Actually this was the 4th ep. of the 80-81 season).

This show earned the biggest audience share in television history -- a record 53.3 rating. The final tally: 41 million of the nearly 78 million households in the U.S. tuned in. (This record would stand until 125 million viewers gave the final episode of M*A*S*H a 60.2 rating on 28 February 1983.) A commercial minute during the November 21 Dallas episode cost $500,000. Some people laid bets on the culprit's true identity with Vegas bookmakers.

"Dallas"-philes are in for a long wait for DVD satisfaction, as the studio that produced the series, Lorimar, is under the control of Warner....:frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Now, this may surprise many of you who think of me as having endless pockets for great TV stuff that I loved to watch growing up.
I loved to watch Dallas growing up. I too waited restlessly for each new episode. I didn't get into it unti JR got shot, but then I watched all the reruns and eventually saw and loved every episode.
I've thought long and hard about this.
I'd support any move to bring Dallas to DVD, but I would not purchase it myself.
Frankly, I just don't see it as enduring and rewatchable. I can't imagine that I'd be able to enjoy more than bits of it again. There's no surprise, no suspense. This was a true soap opera. And having already seen the best of the show twice, I can safely say that - for me - the magic is gone.
I wouldn't even go to the effort of getting my wife into it (who's never seen it). And frankly, she's not interested either.
How does this compare to Twin Peaks? Well, it almost does, with few exceptions...but important ones. First, Dallas ran too long and was very convoluted in many ways. It's just to complicated to invest in the whole thing, vs. Twin Peaks. So why not just get the first few seasons, up until the "Who Shot JR?" is solved? Because that's not even where all the fun is, although true it's most of it. Getting JUST a Best-of set from JR's shooting to the solving isn't a solution, either. First off, you have to watch more about how evil JR was to understand why his shooting came up, and why so many people could have done it. Secondly, the solution to the whodunit was less than satisfying to me, and to countless others.
I wish Cliff Barnes would have done it. That would at least have let me respect that character more!
Besides, Dallas is JUST about the fun of watching JR chew the scenery and all the machinations of the family hurting each other in twisted evil ways (even purebread Bobby Ewing).
Twin Peaks, on the other hand, is haunting and moody and has enduring themes that take it beyond mere entertainment and into the realm of pure storytelling. It is told artfully, whereas Dallas is displayed playfully.
[rant]These are my own opinions, and I don't expect anyone else to share them.[/rant] I'm not getting into a debate, merely expressing my opinion. Those of you who want Dallas on DVD, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
In looking over my favorite shows of the past, I just could not justify to myself any reason to pick these up if they came to DVD. There's loads of other stuff I'll enjoy a lot more.
On the Patrick Duffy side, for instance, there's The Man From Atlantis... :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Luke,

If it's good enough for "Friends"...

That's the excuse I'll use if I want to see any Warner TV product on DVD. I've never seen the whole run of "Dallas" anyway, and it would make a nice present for my Mom.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Instead of Dallas. How about Knot's Landing?? That is the only tv show my wife would ever get excited about. If it came out on dvd.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I would DEFINITELY buy Dallas on DVD. Dallas and ST TNG are my two favorite (long running) shows of all time. There would be a ton of extra supplements over 13 years to put on Dallas DVDs...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Don't hold your breath waiting for this one. One of the hard truths about the TV business is that hour-long serials hold very little repeat value compared to their first airings. Shows like DALLAS, KNOTS LANDING & MELROSE PLACE attract huge ratings in their first runs but repeat very poorly. They do not sell for big bucks in syndication for this very reason. The hot market is primarily for sitcoms which often EQUAL their first run ratings in first repeats. Most of the hour-long shows end up with deals on cable networks with huge mouths to feed. They are in no way comparable in appeal to a STAR TREK.

Just about the only hour-long dramas that have any off network value are the cult shows like STAR TREK or X-FILES, and the studios are already starting to get these out.

James D S

Screenwriter
I'd be on a Dallas set but quick!

Although, David has a good point. However, I haven't seen an episode in many years and it might be worth it to stroll down memory lane with a box set. Especially, if memory serves, doing it with the king of TV dramas.

Besides, you could always sell the set on ebay.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy Dallas and Dynasty if they were released in proper season order box sets. David's point earlier is a good one, but when I've come to watch re-runs, I surprise myself at how much I have forgotten. So a DVD release would be very welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks